Office of Student Activities
Housed under the umbrella of the Center for Student Involvement, the Office of Student Activities works with offices and student groups across campus to develop and promote programs and traditions that support the college mission, foster student development, and support the culture of caring and involvement that is woven into the #PlattsLife across our campus. Our job is to help you get involved and make SUNY Plattsburgh your home away from home.
What We Do For You
Our goals include bringing entertaining, diverse and educational events to campus. Our office is heavily involved with new student orientation, weekly substance free entertainment, and works side by side with the Student Association to offer a wide variety of events for on and off campus students.
We also coordinate Late Night Weekends at the Sundowner on Friday and Saturday nights in the Angell College Center at 9 p.m. Past activities have included musicians, comedians, dance parties, board games, trivia competitions and video games. Look for free refreshments and great giveaway prizes too!
Student Activities also encourages students to check out the Student Association’s Activities Coordination Board, comprised of seven subcommittees, each with their own focus.
Want to learn more? Need help getting involved? Stop by the Center for Student Involvement for more information and follow us on Facebook.
Student Activities Functions
Activities Coordination Board
The Activities Coordination Board is part of the Student Association that programs events for the student body. It consists of seven student committees including:
- Athletics Committee — works to promote school spirit and support our intercollegiate athletic teams. Members attend games, do giveaways and help plan special events such as Cardinal Madness.
- Coffeehouse Committee — plans, hosts and performs at bi-weekly Coffeehouse events. The committee also selects a few visiting performers each semester.
- Entertainment Committee — researches, selects, and promotes a wide range of entertainers on campus. Previous acts have included comedians, magicians, hypnotists and musicians.
- Films Committee — selects movies to show on campus at a bi-weekly series. Look for them on Free Popcorn Fridays.
- Novelties Committee — plans events that fall outside the scope of other committees and helps to promote involvement through various fun activities. Past events have included the weekly prize wheel, Trivia Night, inflatables, photo booths and much more.
- Special Events Committee — plans for three major events — Opening Weekend, the Presidents’ Gala and the Spring Carnival. These signature events are greatly anticipated on campus and the committee works hard to make them memorable!
- Trips Committee — plans a variety of trips in the region. Previous trips have included ski trips, white water rafting, shopping, Broadway shows, and amusement parks.
Clubs & Organizations Affairs Board
The Student Association’s Clubs and Organizations Affairs Board (COAB) is a student-run board that promotes club and organization growth. COAB does the following:
- Hosts the Involvement Fair in the Fall and the Club Fair in the spring
- Coordinates Club & Organization Officer Training each semester
- Reviews clubs and organizations annually through the Club Accreditation Process and makes recommendations to the Student Association Senate for the continuation of recognition
- Assists in the annual recognition process for SA sponsored and recognized groups
- Oversees the new club/organization recognition process
- Assists clubs and organizations in interpreting SA and college policies/procedures
- Mediates disputes/conflicts involving SA recognized or sponsored organizations
- Develops initiatives to create better relationships between clubs and organizations, the Student Association and the college, including the administration of Collaboration Grants of up to $250.
- Partners with Organization Development to create resources and leadership development opportunities for club and organization leaders.
COAB is chaired by the Student Association Vice President of Organizations and consists of up to nine voting student members. To get involved with COAB, contact the Student Association at 518-564-3200.