Jump to Footer

Guidelines to Select Aid-Eligible Coursework

Undergraduate New York state (NYS) financial aid programs include the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP), SUNY Tuition Credit and other miscellaneous programs administered by the Higher Education Services Corporation. Undergraduate Federal Aid Programs include Work-Study, Pell Grants, TEACH Grants, Supplemental Grants (SEOG), Perkins Loan, Nursing Loans, Subsidized Loan, Unsubsidized Loans and Parent PLUS Loans. Visit the corresponding links for a comprehensive description of eligibility requirements and additional information.

Not every course that you register for in a semester may be eligible for financial aid. There are specific New York state and federal rules that determine whether a course is eligible for financial aid. SUNY Plattsburgh bases your financial aid package upon the number of aid-eligible credit hours, and not total credit hours. The purpose of this document is to help students and advisors identify courses that are aid-eligible, and in doing so prevent financial aid cancellations and reductions.

In general, undergraduate coursework is aid-eligible if it satisfies the degree requirements for a student’s first major. Degree requirements include a total of 120 credits of general education (GE) courses, major courses, elective credits and additional requirements. Degree requirements are summarized in the Undergraduate Catalog for a student’s catalog year and also on Degree Works Audits. We encourage students and advisors to use two online tools to help identify aid-eligible courses: Degree Works Audits and Compliance Results for Financial Aid (the latter is a relatively new link on MyPlattsburgh). Ultimately, maintaining aid-eligibility is the student’s responsibility.

Tips for Selecting Aid-Eligible Courses

  • If you have a major, enroll in non-repeat courses that satisfy the degree requirements for your first major. For a full-time aid package, enroll in at least 12 credits of non-repeat courses that satisfy the degree requirements for your first major.
  • Students with optional second majors and optional minors should use electives to satisfy coursework for the second major or minor, or take these optional courses beyond 12 aid-eligible credits.
  • If you plan to repeat a course, take the repeat course above 12 aid-eligible credits or contact the financial aid office in order to determine whether the repeat is aid-eligible.
  • If you are undeclared, all non-repeat coursework is aid-eligible during your first year and sophomore year (i.e., before earning 57 credits). Remember to declare a major before earning 57 credits.
  • If you change majors or declare a major before the end of the add/drop period for a semester, ensure your coursework satisfies the degree requirements for the new major.
  • If you are considering withdrawing from some or all your courses, contact the financial aid office and ask how this would impact your financial aid in both the current and next semester.

Exceptions & Additional Rules

There are exceptions to some of these guidelines and additional rules in certain circumstances. Contact the financial aid office for further guidance.

Back to top