International Student Orientation Schedules
International student orientation is your time to meet other international students, learn about college life at SUNY Plattsburgh, and get set up for a successful semester during the week before classes begin.
Students in Transit
If you are a new international student in the middle of your travels to Plattsburgh and need to inform the staff of your urgent and unexpected travel concerns or delays, you can reach a staff member in the Global Education Office by phone at +1-518-564-3287 during normal business hours. After 4 p.m. or when you do not have cellular service, you can use WhatsApp at +1-518-564-3270.
Please note that the WhatsApp line is for emergency use only between the hours of 4 p.m. to 8 a.m. EST.
University Police can be reached by phone at +1-518-564-2022.
International student orientation takes place the week before classes begin each January and August. The final schedule for each orientation will be posted on this page approximately one week before the events begin. The entire GEO team works very hard to make orientation useful and fun. Don't miss a thing!
Please review the tentative dates below before you make your travel plans to come to New York. You will receive individual notice about your official start dates after you have paid your enrollment deposit.
Attendance at orientation events is mandatory for our new international students. We know from experience that students who attend orientation and take it seriously are more likely to succeed in the semesters ahead. We also know that the majority of our graduates look back at orientation week as one of the highlights of their time on campus.
|Semester||Residence Halls Open||Student Orientation Dates||First Day of Classes|
|Spring 2021||changed due to COVID||please refer to your email||Monday, Feb. 4, 2021|
|Fall 2021||Sunday, Aug. 22, 2021||Aug. 24–28, 2021||Monday, Aug. 30, 2021|
|Spring 2022||Monday, Jan. 24, 2022||Jan. 26–28, 2022||Monday, Jan. 31, 2022|
|Fall 2022||Sunday, Aug. 21, 2022||Aug. 23–27, 2022||Monday, Aug. 29, 2022|
|Spring 2023||Monday, Jan. 23, 2023||Jan. 25–27, 2023||Monday, Jan. 30, 2023|
International Orientation Events
International student orientation is mandatory for new students — but it is also a lot of fun! A finalized schedule of orientation will be included in your packet that we give you when you arrive on campus. Below is a list of some of the most important things you will do and learn during a typical orientation week.
- Meet with academic advisers and register for courses
- Learn about Global Education Office (GEO) programs and services to assist you
- Pay your bill and get your student identification card
- Participate in campus tours and shopping shuttles
- Learn the immigration rules to stay in valid visa status
- Eat meals with other new international students
- Become familiar with academic expectations in the United States higher education system
- Have fun in social activities such as games, talent show and a BINGO game night with prizes
- Learn about campus life and wellness
- Review Medical/Immunization records and your health with Student Health Center staff
- Attend English competency/placement exams: reading, writing, speaking and listening
- Participate in specialized sessions for transfer students and English Bridge Program students (if this applies to you).
If you have not done so already, please fill out the International Student Arrival Information Form so that we can be prepared for your arrival.