International Student Orientation Schedules
International student orientation is your time to meet other international students, learn about college life at SUNY Plattsburgh, and get set up for a successful semester during the week before classes begin.
|Semester||Residence Halls Open||Student Orientation Dates||First Day of Classes|
|Spring 2019||Monday, Jan. 21, 2019||Jan. 23–25, 2019||Monday, Jan. 28, 2019|
|Fall 2019||Sunday, Aug. 18, 2019||Aug. 20–24, 2019||Monday, Aug. 26, 2019|
If you have not done so already, please fill out the International Student Arrival Information Form so that we can be prepared for your arrival.
International student orientation is mandatory for new students, but it is also a lot of fun! A finalized schedule of orientation will be available about 1 week prior to orientation, and included in your packet that we give you when you arrive on campus. Below is a list of some of the most important things you will do and learn during a typical orientation week.
- Meet with academic advisers and register for courses
- Learn about Global Education Office (GEO) programs and services to assist you
- Pay your bill and get your student identification card
- Participate in campus tours and shopping shuttles
- Learn the immigration rules to stay in valid visa status
- Eat meals with other new international students
- Become familiar with academic expectations in the United States higher education system
- Have fun in social activities such as games, talent show and a BINGO game night with prizes
- Learn about campus life and wellness
- Review Medical/Immunization records and your health with Student Health Center staff
- Attend English competency/placement exams: reading, writing, speaking and listening
- Participate in specialized sessions for transfer students and English Bridge Program students (if this applies to you).