International Student Orientation Schedules
International student orientation is your time to meet other international students, learn about college life at SUNY Plattsburgh, and get set up for a successful semester during the week before classes begin.
International student orientation takes place the week before classes begin each January and August. The final schedule for each orientation will be posted on this page approximately one week before the events begin. The entire GEO team works very hard to make orientation useful and fun. Don’t miss a thing!
Arrival Dates & Orientation
Please review the dates below before you make your travel plans to come to New York. Your international student orientation fee includes transportation to campus from certain airport/bus/train stations only on the arrival days listed on the schedule below. You will receive individual notice about your official start dates after you have paid your enrollment deposit.
Attendance at orientation events is mandatory for new undergraduate international students. We know from experience that students who attend orientation — and take it seriously — are more likely to succeed in the semesters ahead. We also know that the majority of our graduates look back at orientation week as one of the highlights of their time on campus.
|Semester||Arrival Days||Student Orientation Dates||First Day of Classes|
|Fall 2023||Aug. 20–21, 2023||Aug. 22–26, 2023||Monday, Aug. 28, 2023|
|Spring 2024||Jan. 22–23, 2024||Jan. 24–27, 2024||Monday, Jan. 29, 2024|
|Fall 2024||Aug. 19–20, 2024||Aug. 21–24, 2024||Monday, Aug. 26, 2024|
International Orientation Events
International student orientation is mandatory for new undergraduate international students — but it is also a lot of fun! A finalized schedule of orientation will be included in your packet that we give you when you arrive on campus. Below is a list of some of the most important things you will do and learn during a typical orientation week.
- Meet with academic advisers and register for courses
- Learn about Global Education Office (GEO) programs and services to assist you
- Pay your bill and get your student identification card
- Participate in campus tours and shopping shuttles
- Learn the immigration rules to stay in valid visa status
- Eat meals with other new international students
- Become familiar with academic expectations in the United States higher education system
- Have fun in social activities such as games, talent show and a BINGO game night with prizes
- Learn about campus life and wellness
- Review medical/immunization records and your health with student health center staff
- Attend English competency/placement exams: reading, writing, speaking and listening
- Participate in specialized sessions for transfer students and English Bridge Program students (if this applies to you).
If you have not done so already, please fill out the International Student Arrival Information Form so that we can be prepared for your arrival. Advance notice of at least 2 weeks is required in order for us to arrange your ground transportation after arrival. Please note that this service is only available to new international students who pay the international student orientation fee. Please review our detailed information on traveling to the U.S. before making any travel plans.
If you have further questions about international student orientation, please contact us at [email protected].