Veterans Support Services
The Veterans Support Office oversees all veterans support initiatives for the college.
GI Bill ® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government web site at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
What We Do and How We Help
Veterans Supports Services serves as the main point of contact for:
- Academic and financial advising, including access to disability counseling, to assist military-affiliated students with completion of studies and with job search activities;
- Military-affiliated students seeking information about available, appropriate academic counseling, financial aid counseling, and student support services at the educational institution;
- A basic understanding of the military tuition assistance program, ED Title IV funding, education benefits offered by the VA, and familiarity with institutional services available to assist military-affiliated students.
Depending on the nature of the request, the Veterans Support Office may provide assistance directly or refer to other individuals with an ability to provide these services, both on- and off-campus.
Some examples of additional services provided by the Veterans Support Office include: providing services which foster student retention and success, providing counsel and advocacy, assisting with the inherent transitional issues of becoming and being a college student, and educating faculty and staff on ways of better serving all military-affiliated students, and progressing the growth of the college as a “military-friendly” institution.
Which Students Does This Apply To?
- Active-duty military personnel
- National Guard may refer the Service member to other individuals with an ability to provide these services, both on- and off-campus
- Dependents of veterans (children and spouses)
Request for Certification of the GI Bill ®
If you are a veteran or dependent of a veteran and would like us to certify your GI Bill ®, please fill out the form located in MyPlattsburgh (Login required).
Go to MyPlattsburgh.
Locate “Student Services” Tab.
Find “Request Certification of GI Bill ® / Veteran’s Benefits.”
Complete and submit electronically.
Resources for Prospective & Current Military-Affiliated Students
Tools to help military-affiliated students acclimate to the campus, plan, understand their finances and options to help pay for college.
Start with the SUNY Plattsburgh Veteran & Military Student Transition Guide (PDF)
- The College Scorecard
- The College Navigator
- Financial Aid Shopping Sheet
- CFB Paying for College Website
How to Use Your GI Bill ® Benefits
Take these six steps