Jump to Footer
  • We're Here For You

    Resources for military-affiliated students

  • VA Work Study Jobs

    Contact us for information on how to qualify for one of the many work study positions specifically reserved for military-affiliated students.

Veterans Support Services

The Veterans Support Office oversees all Veterans Support initiatives for the College.

Veterans Supports Services serves as the main point of contact for:

  • Academic and financial advising, including access to disability counseling, to assist military-affiliated students with completion of studies and with job search activities;
  • Military-affiliated students seeking information about available, appropriate academic counseling, financial aid counseling, and student support services at the educational institution;
  • A basic understanding of the military tuition assistance program, ED Title IV funding, education benefits offered by the VA, and familiarity with institutional services available to assist military-affiliated students.

Depending on the nature of the request, the Veterans Support Office may provide assistance directly or refer to other individuals with an ability to provide these services, both on- and off-campus.

Some examples of additional services provided by the Veterans Support Office include: providing services which foster student retention and success, providing counsel and advocacy, assisting with the inherent transitional issues of becoming and being a college student, and educating faculty and staff on ways of better serving all military-affiliated students, and progressing the growth of the College as a - "military-friendly" institution.

Which Students Does This Apply To?

  • Veterans
  • Active-duty military personnel
  • Reserves
  • National Guard may refer the Service member to other individuals with an ability to provide these services, both on- and off-campus
  • Dependents of veterans (children and spouses)

Request for Certification of the GI Bill

If you are a veteran or dependent of a veteran and would like us to certify your GI Bill, please fill out the form located in MyPlattsburgh (Login required).

  1. Go to MyPlattsburgh.

  2. Locate "Student Services" Tab.

  3. Find 'Request Certification of GI Bill / Veteran's Benefits.'

  4. Complete and submit electronically.

Resources for Prospective & Current Military-Affiliated Students

Tools to help military-affiliated students acclimate to the campus, plan, understand their finances and options to help pay for college.

Start with the SUNY Plattsburgh Veteran & Military Student Transition Guide (PDF)

How to Use Your GI Bill Benefits

Take these six steps

  • Step 1 – Applying for Benefits

    Any member of the military (active duty), veterans or veteran-dependents that qualify for GI Bill benefits must apply for benefits through the (U.S. Department of Veterans' Affairs) by using the Veteran's Online Application (VONAPP).

    After applying for benefits it takes 6 - 8 weeks before you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility in the mail. This Certificate of Eligibility is your proof that you are indeed eligible to receive funds under the GI Bill.

    View sample Certificate of Eligibility (PDF file size 210 KB)

    If you need to check on the status of your application once you have applied, you can do so via the GI Bill hotline:

    1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

    Note: Members of the Selected Reserve can be issued a Notice of Basic Eligibility (DD Form 2384, commonly referred to as a NOBE, pronounced no-be) by their National Guard or Reserve unit stating they are eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill—Selected Reserve. The NOBE is an alternative or supplemental document for establishing eligibility that’s primarily used to verify eligibility for 120 days after the date it’s issued.

    If you turn in a NOBE temporarily in place of a Certificate of Eligibility to our school certifying official while you are waiting for one to be mailed to you, please note that you will still have to turn in a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to our school certifying official once you receive it. You would have to contact the education liaison at your base of operations to get a NOBE.

    Please note If you opt to use a NOBE, then you must still apply for GI Bill benefits and receive a standard Certificate of Eligibility through the VA as detailed above in order for your benefits claim to be processed.

    The Certifying Official (Corey Davidson) in our Financial Aid Office will need a copy of this Certificate of Eligibility letter in order to certify you to begin receiving these funds and to set you up to defer billing with our Student Accounts Office. This means that you should ideally apply for benefits through the VA no later than 8 weeks prior to the beginning date of the semester in which you wish to enroll if this is your only available method of payment.

Back to top