Jill Folsom, MSN, RN, PMHNP-BC, CNE
Associate Professor of Nursing
Jill has been teaching with SUNY Plattsburgh since 2012, joining the faculty full time in the fall of 2016. She began her nursing career in 1996 working with chronically mentally ill, expanding her care to include those with physical chronic illness in 2007. Currently she practices as a psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner (PMHNP) in a local behavioral health care setting in addition to her role as assistant professor. Jill volunteers as a national grassroots advocacy leader for upstate New York and New England for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) assuring issues critical to the prevention, treatment and management of Type 1 diabetes are addressed at the federal level.
I believe that as an instructor my role is to help all students reach their goal of becoming a registered nurse. Using an educational style based in behaviorism, every student is supported as they learn new skills and information in a setting that is positively rewarding as well as respectful of the individual achievements for each student. Maintaining a student-centered learning environment assures all activities and learning outcomes are designed to help the student nurses reach their goal.
- Education & Certifications
- Post-Master’s Mental Health Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Advanced Graduate Certificate, Stony Brook University School of Nursing, 2020
- M.S. in Nursing Education and Faculty, Drexel University, 2011
- Post Baccalaureate Certificate in Leadership and Health Systems Management, Drexel University, 2011
- B.S. in Nursing, cum laude, SUNY Plattsburgh, 2007
- Licensed Practical Nurse Diploma, Champlain Valley Educational Services, 1996
- American Nurse Credentialing Center: PMHNP-BC
- National League for Nursing: CNE
- Research Areas
- Professional Affiliations & Memberships