SUNY Plattsburgh Welcomes Alumni Back for Reunion 2012
Celebrating SUNY Plattsburgh alumni from class years ending in two and seven, Reunion 2012 will bring back a college tradition from the 1980s and 1990s — the clambake.
“Time and time again, we hear alumni reminisce about this end-of-year tradition. They loved it, so we thought we would recreate it for them, complete with the souvenir mug,” Director of Alumni Relations Joanne Nelson said.
“And that’s not all,” Nelson said. “Listening to alumni feedback, we’ve created a slate of events that should appeal to a variety of tastes and needs, from family movie nights to a boat decorating party and barbecue on Wilcox Dock.”
Other events include wine tasting, Reunion dinners, a strawberry breakfast, a Cardinaltini mixer at the North Country Cultural Center for the Arts and a tour of the area on an air-conditioned chartered bus led by Vice President for Student Affairs Bill Laundry.
In addition, staff in alumni relations planned the event to coincide with Plattsburgh’s Annual Mayor’s Cup Regatta and Festival, so alumni can take part in a concert by the award-winning, bluegrass singing, SUNY Plattsburgh alumni duo — the Gibson Brothers — and other concerts, as well as races and family friendly arts activities hosted by NCCCA.
Special events are also on tap for the Class of 1962, whose members are celebrating their 50th anniversary. These include a dinner, a reception and an induction into the Golden Anniversary Club.
Meanwhile, alumni who want to relive their college days in yet another way can register to spend the night in Macdonough.
“This is a really popular feature of Reunion,” Nelson said. “Who doesn’t want to go back and visit their old residence hall? And for many years, Macdonough was the only residence hall on campus.”
Nelson added that both alumni relations staff and Reunion class chairs have been hard at work preparing for these events.
“We owe a debt of gratitude to our Reunion class chairs. Their volunteer efforts really help bring these events to life as we usher in one of our favorite times of the year,” Nelson said. “We love welcoming home all of our alumni and listening to their stories.”
For a complete list of events or to register for Reunion, call 518-564-2090.
Registration will be open through July 9; however, early birds registering by 4 p.m. June 15 will be entered in Reunion Raffle for Kindle Fire and items from the College Store. Entrants must be present at the Strawberry brunch to win.
A Sampling of Reunion 2012 Events:
Thursday, July 12
- Reunion Wine Tasting. 4:30-5:30 p.m. Champlain Wine Company, 8 City Hall Place. Featuring seven North Country wines per tasting with complimentary Reunion wine glass. For up to 20 people. Show Reunion name tag for a 5 percent discount on bottles.
- Alumni Association Boat Decoration Party and BBQ. 7-8:30 p.m. Wilcox Dock, 90 Cumberland Ave. Alumni, students, faculty and staff are invited to decorate a boat for the Parade of Lights Competition while enjoying hot dogs, hamburgers and soft drinks. Lights supplied. Attendees are welcome to bring their own Cardinal flair.
Friday, July 13
- Explore the Works of Rockwell Kent. 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Rockwell Kent Gallery, Feinberg Library. See paintings, drawings, book illustrations, bookplates and more. All part of the largest collection of Rockwell Kent works in the world. From noon to 1 p.m., Cecilia Esposito ’77, museum director and Reunion class co-chair, will lead a guided tour. Light refreshments.
- Nursing Program Open House. 2-4 p.m. Nursing Department, Second Floor, Hawkins Hall.
- Reunion Wine Tasting. 4:30-5:30 p.m. See July 12 description.
- Golden Anniversary Club Reception. 5-6 p.m. The Olive Mason Flynt House, 134 Court St. President John Ettling welcomes the Class of 1962 to attend this special reception in his home with the Golden Anniversary Club (all those who graduated in 1961 or earlier). Evening attire.
- Reunion Barbecue at the Dock. 6-9 p.m. The Naked Turtle, 1 Dock St. Barbecue, cash bar and live music on the north deck overlooking Lake Champlain.
- Reunion Movie Night. 9 p.m. Yokum Hall, Room 200.
Saturday, July 14
- The Golden Anniversary Club Breakfast with President John Ettling. 9:30-11 a.m. Warren Ballrooms, Angell College Center. All those who graduated in 1962 or prior are invited to celebrate the induction of the 50th anniversary class into the ranks of the Golden Anniversary Club. The Distinguished Alumni Award will be given.
- Plattsburgh Bus Tour with Bill Laundry H'05. 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. Bus departs from Angell College Center. The vice president of student affairs will lead alumni on a tour of surrounding areas in an air-conditioned, chartered bus. Includes a stop at Rulf's Orchard for a free cider donut and beverage.
- Reunion Clambake. 1-3 p.m. Hawkins Hall Pond. Clams, hamburgers, hot dogs, corn on the cob, watermelon and a cash bar. One free clambake cup per registrant. Rain location: Warren Ballrooms, Angell College Center.
- Reunion Cardinaltini Networking Mixer. 4 p.m.-5:30 p.m. North Country Cultural Center for the Arts, 23 Brinkerhoff St. Featuring tours of the Strand Theater from 4:30 to 5 p.m. Open to all Reunion classes. Enjoy arts and hors d’oeuvres while sipping a signature reunion pomegranate martini. Cash bar, raffles and giveaway. Hosted by the classes of 2002 and 2007.
- All Reunion Classes Dinner, 6-8 p.m. Featuring a cash bar in Cardinal Lounge starting at 6 p.m., dinner in Warren Ballrooms at 7 p.m. and a Reunion slideshow. Celebrating all Reunion classes. Dinner choice due at time of registration.
- The Gibson Brothers at Mayor’s Cup. 8-9 p.m. and 9:45-11 p.m. Lions Club Band Shell near the Macdonough Monument, City Hall Place. Concert by North Country natives and SUNY Plattsburgh alumni, Eric ’93 and Leigh ’94 – winners of the International Bluegrass Music Association's Album of the Year and Vocal Group of the Year awards.
- Reunion Movie Night. 9 p.m. Yokum Hall, Room 200.
Saturday, July 15
- Farewell Strawberry Breakfast. 9:30-11 a.m. Warren Ballrooms, Angell College Center. Reunion volunteers will be recognized and thanked for their efforts. Burghy will be on hand to pick the winning tickets for the Reunion Raffle. Must be present to win.