Students Win a Dozen Awards at Regional National Broadcasting Society Convention
Students from SUNY Plattsburgh’s Department of Communication Studies won 12 awards at a National Broadcasting Society regional convention this November.
Two faculty members and 13 students attended the conference hosted by Millersville University of Pennsylvania.
“These awards are important because they show that we can compete both at the regional and national level in terms of television and radio production work,” said Plattsburgh NBS Chapter President Derek Pollacchi, a senior TV/video production and broadcast journalism major. “It also shows that, as a state university from New York, we can compete with all big time schools.”
“Our students are so talented and winning these awards showcases the diversity of the work they do in the department and at the college,” said Christine Johnson, associate professor of communication studies and faculty adviser for NBS.
The winning entries were:
1. Derek Pollacchi for Video Sports Package.
2. Josh Lattrelle and Mike Warren for Audio Sports Play by Play.
3. Mario Frascone III and Brian Caputo for Music Video.
4. Anthony Gallina for Audio Promo (tied with Matt Baran).
5. Baran for Audio Promo (Tied with Gallina).
6. Gallina for Audio Drama Program.
7. Baran for Audio Comedy.
8. Alex Backstrom for Video Program Opener.
9. Elliot Wilson and Bethany Winchester for Audio Commercial.
10. Backstrom and Caputo for Video Comedy Program or Segment.
11. Keith King for Audio Public Service Announcement.
12. King for Audio Documentary or Interview Program.
Next year, SUNY Plattsburgh will host the regional conference, from Friday, Nov. 14 to Saturday, Nov. 15. According to Professor and Communication Department Chair Shakuntala Rao, the chapter is expecting 20 regional colleges to attend.
The National Broadcasting Society is a student and professional society with more than 85 chapters on college and high school campuses nationwide. NBS seeks to encourage and award scholarship and accomplishment among broadcasting students, and to establish relationships between student and professional broadcasters.
Students in SUNY Plattsburgh’s Department of Communication Studies can major in TV/video production, broadcast journalism, audio/radio production and digital media production. They can also minor in broadcast management and radio.
For more information on the Department of Communication Studies at SUNY Plattsburgh, or to learn more about these awards, contact Department Chair Shakuntala Rao at 518-564-4291 or [email protected]burgh.edu, or Associate Professor Christine Johnson at 518-564-4293 or [email protected].