Homecoming '09 Marks Shift in Programming
PLATTSBURGH, N.Y. (Oct. 1, 2009) - SUNY Plattsburgh's Homecoming '09 on Oct. 16 and 17 will once again offer alumni a chance to reconnect with classmates and faculty while visiting the place they once called home, but, in doing so, it will also mark a change in the college's alumni programming.
"Like our Homecomings of the past, it will be a time to showcase the campus," said Interim Director of Alumni Relations Kerry Chapin, "a time to listen to the alumni tell stories about their days at Plattsburgh, how the campus has changed and what things have remained constant."
"Ultimately, we have events that allow our alumni to socialize, like happy hours and cocktail receptions," continued Chapin. "And we have some family-oriented events planned as well, like the planetarium shows and open skate with Burghy."
While this year's event will involve many of the activities alumni have come to appreciate and expect, it will also feature a shift toward a new model for the weekend that will be fully in place next year. This new model will feature an emphasis on affinity-group programming, with affinity groups consisting of alumni who have some sort of shared experience.
For instance, this year's event will feature gatherings with alumni from the Educational Opportunity Program. This is the 40th year that the state-funded program has been on campus, providing support to capable New York state residents from financially disadvantaged families. In honor of this anniversary, alumna Pamela Hewitt, who once received EOP services, will return to campus as a Distinguished Visiting Alumna and give the presentation, "Your Passion and Your Career Journey."
Alumni from the Honors Program will also return to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Redcay Honors Center.
In addition, this year's festivities will include gatherings highlighting the classes with special anniversaries. For instance, there will be a reception for the Golden Anniversary Club, as well as anniversary reunion brunches and happy hours.
Next year, however, this will change. These class-year celebrations will be moved to the summer. The college's new Summer Reunion, June 11-13, will honor the class years that end in zeros and fives and allow them to take part in the region's summer activities.
Finally, the Cardinal Sports Hall of Fame festivities have been moved. They will now be celebrated during a new Cardinal Weekend event on Dec. 4 and 5 of this year. This event will welcome former Cardinal athletes while showcasing the newest alumni to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.
For more information on Homecoming '09, Cardinal Weekend or Summer Reunion or to register for events, contact the Office of Alumni Relations at 518-564-2090 or [email protected].
Highlights from Homecoming '09
Friday, Oct. 16:
- Welcome Back Tour of Campus. 2 p.m. Main Doors, Hawkins Hall.
- Distinguished Visiting Alumni Presentation: "Your Passion and Your Career Journey." 2 - 3 p.m. Krinovitz Recital Hall, Hawkins Hall. Senior Human Resources Consultant Pamela Hewitt speaks.
- Educational Opportunity Program Alumni Panel. 3 - 4 p.m. Krinovitz Recital Hall, Hawkins Hall. Panel members share their career journey.
- Reception for the Golden Anniversary Club. 5:30 - 6:30 p.m. Olive Mason Flynt House, 134 Court St. Open to alumni from Class of 1959 and prior years. Reservations required.
- Welcome Back Buffet. 6 - 8 p.m. Cardinal Lounge, Angell College Center. Open to all
alumni. Reservations required.
Educational Opportunity Program 40th Anniversary Gala. 7 p.m. The Burgundy Room, 770 Route 3, Airport Plaza. Reservations required.
- Prism Concert. 8 - 9 p.m. E. Glenn Giltz Auditorium, Hawkins Hall. Tickets required.
- Cocktail Reception. 8:30 - 11:30 p.m. Samuel D's, Sibley Hall. Munchies. Cash bar.
- Fabulous Fireworks. 9 p.m. Behind Memorial Hall. (Rain date: Oct. 17, 9 p.m.)
Saturday, Oct. 17:
- History of the College by Dr. Douglas Skopp. 8 a.m. Macdonough Hall, main lobby. Presentation by Skopp, a SUNY distinguished teaching professor of history and author of "Bright with Promise: From the Normal and Training School to SUNY Plattsburgh: 1889-1989; A Pictorial History."
- Class of 1964 Student Nurse Teachers Coffee Hour. 8:30 - 9:30 a.m. The Burgundy Room, 770 Route 3, Airport Plaza. Reservations required.
- Breakfast for the Golden Anniversary Club. 9 a.m. Macdonough Hall, lower level lobby. Honors alumni celebrating the 50th anniversary of their graduation. The classes of 1934, 1939, 1944, 1949 and 1954 will also be honored. Graduates of all classes prior to 1959 are invited to attend. Reservations required.
- Annual Omicron Delta Kappa Breakfast Cardinal Lounge. 9 - 10 a.m. Angell College Center.
Class of '64, '69, '74 and '79 Anniversary Reunion Brunch.10 a.m. The Burgundy Room, 770 Route 3, Airport Plaza. Reservations required.
- Student Information Session and Campus Tours. 10 a.m. - Noon. Krinovitz Recital Hall, Hawkins Hall. Register with the Admissions Office at 888-673-0012 or [email protected] .
- Art Museum Lecture and Luncheon. 12:15 - 3 p.m. Burke Gallery, Myers Fine Arts Building. Diane Fine, professor of art, will discuss her exhibition, "Rhythm, Repetition and Verse." Reservations required.
- Open Swim, 1 - 3 p.m. and 7 - 8 p.m. Memorial Hall Pool. Open to all alumni and their families. Lifeguard on duty. A parent must accompany children.
- Open Skate with Burghy. 1:30 - 3 p.m. Stafford Ice Arena, Field House. Rental skates
are available for $2.
1980s, 1990s and 2000s Happy Hour. 2 - 4 p.m. Olive Ridley's, 37 Court St. Food and music. Highlighting the classes of '84 (Silver Anniversary), '89, '94, '99, '04.
- Nursing Department Open House. 3 - 4 p.m. Damianos Nursing Skills Lab, 205 Hawkins Hall.
- Canadian Studies Alumni Networking Reception. 3 - 5 p.m. Center for Study of Canada, 133 Court St.
- Honors Program Open House Celebration of the 25th Anniversary. 3 - 5 p.m., Redcay Honors Center, 121 Hawkins Hall.
- Homecoming Reception and Dinner. 5:30 p.m. Flynt Commons, Angell College Center. Slideshow will follow dinner. Reservations required.
- Men's Ice Hockey vs. Concordia. 7 p.m. Stafford Ice Arena, Field House. Tickets required.
- Gospel Choir Performance. 8 p.m. Cardinal Lounge, Angell College Center.
To view the full schedule of events, including Northcountry Planetarium shows and special alumni sporting events, visit our Web site at www.plattsburgh.edu/alumni/homecoming/ and click on the link for the schedule of events.