Tom Chapin to Perform Concert at Plattsburgh State Oct. 18
PLATTSBURGH, NY __ Singer and songwriter Tom Chapin will return to Plattsburgh State University of New York on Saturday, Oct. 18 for a 2 p.m. concert as part of Plattsburgh State's annual Homecoming Weekend, Oct. 17-19.
Chapin, a 1966 Plattsburgh State alumnus, will perform in the E. Glenn Giltz Auditorium, Hawkins Hall, at 2 p.m. Tickets are $10 for alumni; $12 for non-alumni adults; and $5 for children under 12 and are available from the Alumni Affairs Office, 113 Hawkins Hall, or by phone at 518-564-2090.
A gifted entertainer and songwriter, Chapin has gained widespread critical and popular acclaim for his recordings on the Sony Wonder label. His work has been nominated for several Grammy nominations and has garnered plenty of awards and accolades. Chapin also narrates a series of children's books to benefit the Humane Society of the United States. One of his narrations, "Mama Don't Allow," won a 2002 Grammy Award for Best Spoken Word Album for Children.
"We're so delighted that Tom will be coming back to campus for a very special Homecoming concert," said Rose Anderson, director of alumni affairs. "His show will be a wonderful event for alumni, students and the Plattsburgh community."
Inducted into the Cardinal Sports Hall of Fame in 1986 for his outstanding performance on the men's basketball team, Chapin was also named a Distinguished Alumnus by the Plattsburgh Alumni Association in 1992.
He was a standout athlete on the basketball court, setting a school record for rebounding and twice being named the SUNYAC All-Conference center. After earning his degree, he remained at Plattsburgh State doing some graduate work while working as a physical-education assistant and basketball coach.
Upon leaving Plattsburgh in 1968, he taught for a while, but by his own admission he preferred singing. Chapin continues to sing and write songs and returns to Plattsburgh State to perform on special occasions. He was in Plattsburgh in July 2002 as part of the Mayor's Cup festivities and previously performed at Plattsburgh State in April 1999 as part of the rededication ceremonies for Hawkins Hall.
Alumni to Return for Homecoming Weekend
Homecoming Weekend at Plattsburgh State, Oct. 17 - 19, is a time for everyone -- students, alumni, faculty, staff and community members -- to come together with their families to celebrate the Plattsburgh spirit.
Anderson said alumni returning to their alma mater come to reconnect with their former classmates, faculty and staff members, students and the Plattsburgh community.
"Alumni often remark how special their memories of Plattsburgh are," said Anderson. "These fond memories are due in large part to all their experiences here in Plattsburgh, both on and off campus. It only makes sense to invite the entire community to join in the celebrations of this special weekend and to enjoy what I like to call the Plattsburgh spirit. "
In addition to Chapin's concert, a number of other activities are planned for Homecoming Weekend, which begins on Friday, Oct. 17 and run throughout the weekend.
Events open to the general public include:
Friday, Oct. 17:
- 3 p.m. Men's Soccer Game vs. Geneseo - Soccer Field, Field House.
- 4 - 5 p.m. and 6 - 7 p.m. Planetarium Show "The Light-Hearted Astronomer" - Northcountry Planetarium, Hudson Hall. Suitable for all ages. Tickets are free, but seats are limited. Contact the Alumni Affairs office for reservations.
- 8-9 p.m. Prism Concert -- E. Glenn Giltz Auditorium, Hawkins Hall. Always a favorite event at Homecoming, the concert features performances by the Jazz Ensemble, the College Chorale, the Cardinal Singers, the Sinfonia, the Symphonic Band and small ensembles. Tickets are $5 each at the door.
- 8 p.m. (and Saturday Oct. 18 at 8 p.m.) Pendragon Theatre presents "Arms and the Man" -- Hartman Theatre, Myers Fine Arts Building. Tickets are: $8 general; $5 alumni/faculty/staff and non-Plattsburgh State students; and $1 Plattsburgh State students. Tickets available at the door.
- 9 p.m. Fabulous Fireworks -- Field behind Memorial Hall. The Student Association is once again sponsoring this festive fireworks show.
Saturday, Oct. 18:
- 12 p.m. Alumni Rugby -Field behind Sibley Hall.
- 1 p.m. Men's Soccer Game vs. Brockport. Soccer Field, Field House (followed by alumni soccer game.)
- 1:30 - 3:30 p.m. Free Open Skate with Burghy - Stafford Ice Arena, Field House. Show Burghy your great skating skills or just have fun skating with your family and friends. Rental skates available for $2.
- 2 - 4 p.m. Tom Chapin Concert -- E. Glenn Giltz Auditorium, Hawkins Hall.
- 3 - 4 p.m. Planetarium Show "The Light-Hearted Astronomer" - Northcountry Planetarium, Hudson Hall. Suitable for all ages. Tickets are free, but seats are limited. Contact the Alumni Affairs office for reservations.
- 8 p.m. Sweet Adeline's Concert -- E. Glenn Giltz Auditorium, Hawkins Hall. Special guests include Minor Adjustments and Overture. Tickets are $10 for adults and $8 for seniors and students; and are available at the door.
Sunday, Oct. 19:
- 9 a.m. Gospel Choir performance -- Krinovitz Recital Hall, Hawkins Hall. The 70-member college gospel choir will provide energy and inspiration for Sunday morning.
- 10 a.m. History of Plattsburgh State -- Krinovitz Recital Hall, Hawkins Hall. Dr. Douglas Skopp, SUNY distinguished teaching professor of history, will present a lecture on our history.
Contact the Office of Alumni Affairs for more information about Homecoming Weekend at 564-2090 or you can find it on the Web at http://www.plattsburgh.edu/alumni/homecoming.php
-- 30 --