State Awards SUNY Plattsburgh $770,000 for Enrollment, Diversity, Academic Support
SUNY Plattsburgh has been awarded more than three quarters of a million dollars that will be used for enrollment initiatives, academic programs, and diversity and equity directives.
The one-time funds are part of the direct funding from New York state announced by Gov. Kathy Hochul in July to increase student services and support across the SUNY system.
“I am excited to share the news that SUNY Plattsburgh has been awarded $770,000 to grow and sustain student enrollment, enhance students services, promote equity and inclusion and support other initiatives that will drive our Plattsburgh Next work forward,” said President Alexander Enyedi in announcing the award to the campus community Friday morning. Plattsburgh Next is the college’s three-year strategic plan.
Overall, the funding provides for:
- $280,000 to immediately support student retention and recruitment
- $139,350 to enhance academic programs
- $81,500 to support operational efficiencies
- $125,000 to further develop DEI initiatives
“This award is in addition to funding SUNY will provide for seven new faculty lines,” Enyedi said. “That spending is awaiting system approval.”
He said the college is developing plans to “strategically invest nearly $2 million of our own Plattsburgh Next funds to further grow and sustain student enrollment, which is key to our stability as an institution and our ability to serve our current and future students well.”
In her July 28 announcement, Hochul reported that the SUNY Board of Trustees approved allocation of $113 million, an “essential investment (that) will support campus programs designed to increase services to SUNY students, bolster enrollment at SUNY institutions and support college completion rates.”
"SUNY has provided life-changing educational opportunities for countless of students and we must continue to provide the resources needed for the next generation of students seeking a world class education," Hochul said in her announcement. "With today's approval by the SUNY Board of Trustees, we have delivered on the commitment made in the budget to revitalize the SUNY system, hire additional faculty, increase diversity among the student body, and expand the reach of our campuses to attract and retain students."
Plattsburgh Next is built on four pillars, each of which has an overarching goal:
- Grow and stabilize enrollment: The plan calls for a stable enrollment of 4,800 students by 2025 to ensure financial stability and capacity to make investments that align with strategic prioritie
- Strengthen student success: The plan calls for the college to enhance student support, student engagement and student retention and also optimize the academic portfolio to provide career value and social responsiveness
- Prioritize equity and inclusion: The plan calls on SUNY Plattsburgh to eliminate equity gaps, increase access and reduce student debt
- Better engage the North Country region: The plan calls on the college to reaffirm its critical role as a driver of economic prosperity and community wellness. SUNY Plattsburgh is an important partner to ensure the vitality of Plattsburgh and the entire North Country region
The funding announced today “align with the four pillars and objectives of our Plattsburgh Next Strategic Plan and reaffirm our commitment to academic excellence and student success,” Enyedi said.