Jump to Footer

Myers Fine Arts Building Closed While Authorities Work to Determine Source of Fumes


PLATTSBURGH, N.Y. (March 14, 2011) –The Myers Fine Arts Building on the SUNY Plattsburgh campus was closed at around 10:15 a.m. Monday after an employee reported smelling what he believed to be ammonia fumes.

The building was evacuated to ensure public safety while allowing the Plattsburgh City Fire Department to inspect the premises and identify the source of the fumes.

A few of those who had been in the building were treated on the scene by fire department personnel and were released. One was taken to the emergency room where she was also treated and released. No serious injuries or illnesses have been reported.

“We do not yet know the source of the fumes,” University Police Chief Arlene Sabo said, “but we are encouraging those who were in the building and who think they may have been exposed to seek medical attention, if they have not already done so.

“Fortunately, because it is spring break, there weren’t many students or faculty members in the building,” Sabo said.

Meanwhile, Myers Fine Arts remains closed until the investigation is complete, and authorities determine it is safe.
 

Back to top