Free Enterprise Team to Participate in Regional Competition
PLATTSBURGH, N.Y. (March 30, 2008) - The SUNY Plattsburgh Students In Free Enterprise Club will participate in the upcoming New York City Regional Competition at the Westchester Marriott on Friday, April 4.
Out of the SIFE Club's 15 members, 10 students and their club advisor, Dr. James Csipak, will represent the college at the event. They will compete against approximately 12 college SIFE teams, from both in and out of state, for the Best SIFE Team 2008 Award.
The SUNY Plattsburgh SIFE team will present five community projects they have been working on since September 2007:
1. A business plan adapted for impoverished countries. This business plan will be posted on the VillageVolunteers.org Web site.
2. A 30-minute business plan video presentation that will be posted on the North Country Small Business Development Center's Web site and media library. The purpose of this video presentation is to educate members of the local community about developing and starting their own small business venture.
3. A Career Seminar for all SUNY Plattsburgh students on "How to Choose the Best Career for You." More than 100 people attended this forum, which featured a panel of business professionals making recommendations and answering questions in view of this important topic.
4. A Business Ethics Seminar for Plattsburgh high school students.
5. A clothing drive to collect slightly used business/professional attire for the Albany, N.Y., Dress-for-Success Chapter.
Club President Dennis Sullivan said that being in club is a great opportunity for students. Students get to plan and implement events that help the public. In addition, they are able to compete in front of judges from major companies like Unilever and KPMG.
"It's something you wouldn't get in principles of management class. It's a real experience," said Sullivan
Sullivan added that he feels really competent going into this year's competition.
"We've had a very active group. I am proud of whole team," said Sullivan.