Dean of Business School Plans to Step Down
PLATTSBURGH, NY (Feb. 22, 2008) – After three years of leading the School of Business and Economics at SUNY Plattsburgh, Dr. Colin Read has announced his plan to step down from his administrative role and return to teaching. The college community received the news on Friday.
"During his tenure as dean, Dr. Read has championed and implemented significant initiatives in the School of Business and Economics," Provost Robert Golden said in an e-mail to the campus.
Among Dr. Read's achievements:
- He established two new majors: Global Supply Chain Management and Management of Information Systems.
- He has led technology initiatives in the SBE including the creation of the Peterson Accounting Lab and the use of technology to enhance classroom instruction.
- He hired 24 new faculty and staff and created new faculty positions filled by highly-qualified candidates.
- With his guidance, the North Country Small Business Development Center has increased services to local entrepreneurs including the creation of the small business incubator and other forward-thinking initiatives.
- Under his leadership, SBE has doubled the number of students participating in the internship program and the number of businesses serving as host sites.
- He has also served as a valuable liaison from the college to the local business community by offering his expertise and perspectives on economic issues facing the North Country.
- He led the effort to establish an articulation agreement with Concordia University in Montreal. Because of this agreement, undergraduates are now able to pursue a course of study that will prepare them for an "accelerated MBA" program at Concordia. He was also instrumental in additional agreements with universities in Mexico and China.
"The success of SUNY Plattsburgh and the School of Business and Economics over the past few years has been remarkable," Read said. "I am confident I have accomplished all I set out to do, and more. I expect the new provost and his or her team will continue to move the college to even greater heights."
Outgoing Provost Golden commended Read on his accomplishments, "I have worked closely with Colin for three years and know that he has been a significant factor in the progress the college has made. I appreciate his efforts and wish him the best in the future."
Dr. Read began his tenure as dean in June 2005 after serving as dean of the business school at Central Connecticut State. Prior to that, he served for 15 years as associate dean at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. Read holds a master of accountancy degree in taxation from the University of Tulsa, a master of business administration from the University of Alaska, a juris doctorate degree from the School of Law at the University of Connecticut, and master's and doctorate degrees in economics from Queens University in Kingston, Ontario. He earned his undergraduate degree in physics and economics from Simon Fraser University in Burnaby, British Columbia.
On December 31, 2008, Dr. Read will formally step down as dean at SUNY Plattsburgh, at which time he will join the ranks of the faculty. He plans on pursuing new projects including coordination of the first annual Cross Border Supply Chain Management Conference, tentatively scheduled for April 2009.