Literacy Education 5 Year Combined B.S./M.S.Ed.
Focus on literacy to become a classroom teacher (Grades 1 to 6) and a literacy specialist (Birth to Grade 6) in one five-year program.
What Will I Learn?
Our program allows you to:
- Focus on children’s development of skills and strategies in literacy (reading, writing, listening, speaking, viewing, and representing visually) from birth to grade 6
- Develop abilities to work with other child-oriented professionals as a classroom teacher as well as a literacy specialist and literacy coach
- Explore innovative approaches to teaching all content areas in grades 1–6
- Plan, implement, and reflect on instruction that meets the diverse needs of students
- Develop knowledge and skills to assess and respond to student learning
- Create engaging and supportive learning communities
- Promote ways to support and learn from families
What is Unique About Our Program?
- Recommendation for certification in two areas: Literacy Education in Birth-Grade 6; Childhood Ed. in Grades 1–6
- This program satisfies the requirement for a master’s degree as required by NYSED (New York State Education Department) for professional certification
- Begin education classes and field experience in your first semester
- Begin specialized literacy courses in your fourth semester
- Student teach in your eighth semester and then apply your experience during graduate courses in literacy
- More than 400 hours of supervised early field experience in Project CONNECT after school programs and in local classrooms from the first semester up until student teaching
- Integration of literacy, special education, technology, and multicultural competencies
- Collaborative approach to team planning and teaching for student cohorts
What Are My Career Opportunities?
Like our four-year undergraduate childhood education program, this combined program fulfills degree requirements for an initial teacher certificate in Childhood Education (Grades 1–6). In addition we recommend certification in one other area (Literacy Birth to Grade 6).
- Elementary school teachers in both public and private schools
- Reading Specialists and Literacy Coaches in Early Childhood and elementary settings
- Providers of AIS (Academic Intervention Services) who focus on literacy birth–grade 6