Journalism: Magazine Major
What Will I Learn?
The magazine journalism major prepares you for jobs as a magazine writer or editor. The major is also designed to teach you to examine the economic and social role of magazines in the context of today’s communication environment. You will learn the writing, editing, production, and business of magazines. Magazine-specific courses teach you how to:
- Write queries and articles on spec for consumer magazines
- Work as a writer, editor, photographer, and designer for the All Points North online or the print version of the magazine
- Design a magazine of your own
- Analyze current magazine markets
What Are My Career Opportunities?
Are you interested in having a rewarding career that makes a difference in people’s lives? Would you like to travel to exotic locations and meet interesting people? Do you have a natural talent in writing, photography, or designing graphics, websites or publications? Then perhaps a career in journalism is for you.
Here are just a few places our graduates have gone!
- Associate web producer at National Geographic in Washington, D.C.
- Writer at Inside Lacrosse in Baltimore, Md.
- Assistant editor at Scholastic News in New York City
- Editor at WWD in New York City
- Beauty editor at Allure in New York City
- Beauty director at Harper’s Bazaar in New York City
- Editorial staffer with People in New York City
- Beauty director at Latina in New York City
- Assistant editor at Beauty Biz in New York City
- Staff writer at Star in New York City
- Writer at Fashion Week in New York City
- Senior associate editor at Pet Age in Chicago
- Editor of Whatcom Independent in Bellingham, Wash.
- Reporter at Financial Week magazine
- Senior editor at TWICE magazine in New York City
- Reporter at Dealing With Technology magazine in New York City
- Freelance reporter for Ultimate Grappling,Boxing Digest, Full Contact Fighter and Fighter’s Only magazines
- Managing editor at High Performance automotive trade magazines in Tampa, Fla.
- Paginator at Creative Loafing in Atlanta
- Reporter for Waters Technology in New York City
Some graduates chose to attend graduate school before beginning their careers:
- City University of New York
- Syracuse University
- University of Missouri, Columbia
- Northwestern University
- University of New Mexico
- University of Oregon, Eugene
- Albany Law School
- SUNY Stony Brook