Certificate of Advanced Study in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
What Will I Learn?
This 24-credit program will teach you to:
- Provide mental health treatments for individuals, groups, partners and families
- Use community mental health system-based data to design, develop and manage community mental health agencies
- Become a leader in mental health and addictions services, and advocate for equitable and culturally competent counseling for all clients
- Develop and maintain a clinical private practice in mental health counseling
Note that this program is not open to holders of master’s degree in clinical mental health counseling.
What is Unique About Our Program?
Build on your master’s degree in a related field with this certificate, which makes you eligible for licensure as a mental health counselor in New York State.
Work at a professional site and with clients and students through our specialized internships:
- Internships are available in a variety of settings specially chosen to match your degree program
- Gain relevant work experience while completing your degree requirements
- Learn in a supervised setting
What Are My Career Opportunities?
The mental health counseling certificates allows you to work effectively in a number of work settings such as:
- Community mental health clinics
- Child and family counseling centers
- Youth intervention programs
- Adventure-based counseling programs
- Mental health units in regional medical centers
- Emergency mental health centers
- Day treatment programs
- Community residences
- Halfway houses
- Therapeutic communities
- Probation and corrections
- In-patient treatment facilities for substance abuse and mental health
- Community education and prevention programs