Art Major with Study Option in Art History
- Pursue a career in the visual arts
- Explore the roles played by the visual arts in diverse societies throughout the history of the world
- Study the visual arts of specific places and times in depth
- Through interaction with the Plattsburgh State Art Museum, work first-hand with historical and contemporary art
- Combine your studies with a second major or minor
What Will I Learn?
You will take a wide range of introductory and advanced art history courses. You will initially acquire a broad knowledge of the major issues of form, content, and context in the visual arts from ancient times to the present. In your upper-division course work, you will specialize in areas and topics of your choice, working closely with art history faculty to develop strong research and writing skills. You may also participate in off campus trips to visit museums such as those in Montreal, Canada or New York City.
What is Unique About Our Program?
The friendly, professional and collaborative faculty of the SUNY Plattsburgh Art Department provide a first-class education in art history through the curriculum we offer as well as through internships in the Plattsburgh State Art Museum. And SUNY Plattsburgh’s location is unique: lakes, rivers, forests and mountains abound, while urban centers such as Montreal in Canada and Burlington, Vt., with an abundant variety of cultural opportunities, are within an hour’s drive from campus.
What Are My Career Opportunities?
Pursue a career in art history such as:
- an art historian and professor of art history
- an art teacher
- an arts administrator or fund-raiser
- a gallery or museum curator
- an art conservator or restorer