TRIO Student Support Services
Student Support Services (SSS) is an academic support program funded by the United States Department of Education.
SSS is staffed by caring and committed professionals whose mission is to provide you with services, free of charge, designed to help you succeed in college.
Who Qualifies for Student Support Services?
Students are eligible for services if at least one of the following are true:
- The applicant is a first generation student — neither parent of a student has a four year college degree
- The applicant’s family meets federal financial aid guidelines for taxable income
- The applicant identifies as a student with a disability (medical, mental health, physical, learning)
- The applicant demonstrates an academic need.
Student Support Services Scholarships
SSS grants over $33,000 in annual scholarships to qualified first year and sophomore level students who are active in the SSS program and meet appropriate guidelines. For more information on these scholarships, please contact the SSS office.
The Sohan Singh Memorial Scholarship
The Sohan Singh Memorial Scholarship is awarded to a current SSS student who exemplifies a strong commitment to their education and a high level of participation in the SSS program. The recipient must also demonstrate financial need and be recommended by the SSS professional staff.
The Marcia K. Gottschall Writing Scholarship
This award honors a longtime Writing Skills Specialist in Student Support Services who served as a teacher, mentor, and friend to countless students during her nineteen-year tenure at SSS. The recipient must have successfully completed the SSS sequence of ENG/RDG 100 and 101 and shown a strong commitment to improving their writing, as well as a superior work ethic. Recipients must also demonstrate financial need and be recommended by the SSS writing instructors.
Student Support Services Faculty & Staff
- Ashley Durocher, Associate Director of SSS
- Athena Castro-Lewandowski, Writing Skills Specialist
- Rachel Day, Academic Coach
- Elizabeth Ann Dumont, Secretary
- Bryan C. Kieser, Activities & Engagement Specialist
- Anne Petro, Coordinator of Instruction
- Tom Thompson, Writing Skills Specialist/Coordinator of Special Projects