Jump to Footer

J-1 Student Transfer From SUNY Plattsburgh to Another University


If you are a J-1 exchange student and you want to transfer from SUNY-Plattsburgh to another program sponsor in the States, you are eligible if all of the following apply to you:

  1. The purpose of the transfer is to complete the original objective for which you were admitted to J-1 status
  2. You remain within the same J-1 category after the transfer
  3. You are maintaining valid J-1 status.

Required Documents

  1. Acceptance Letter and Transfer Form from New Institution
  2. SUNY Plattsburgh J-1 Student Transfer Out Form (PDF file size 350 KB. Note: this document requires the latest version of Acrobat Reader, which is available as a free download).

When Can a J-1 Student Transfer Out?

A J-1 student must discuss his or her transfer out date with his or her Responsible Officer/Alternate Responsible Officer (RO/ARO). According to regulations, the RO/ARO at the transfer-out institution will discuss any issues with the RO/ARO at the transfer-in institution.

Procedures for School Transfer

The J-1 exchange student must:

  1. Make an appointment with the International Student Advisor (ISA) to discuss the transfer details.
  2. The ISA will contact the RO/ARO at the new institution to discuss the proposed transfer.
  3. Once the transfer has been approved verbally, the student must obtain an acceptance letter and transfer form from the ISA at the new institution (usually called a SEVIS Transfer Form)
  4. Complete a SUNY Plattsburgh J-1 Transfer Out Request.
  5. Make an appointment with the ISA at SUNY Plattsburgh. Be sure to bring the above required documents to your appointment.

The ISA will assess your situation. If all the documents are in order,the ISA will "transfer out" your SEVIS record.

Back to top