Jump to Footer

Renewing Your J-1 Visa

Visa Renewal in the United States

Entry visas can only be issued outside of the United States. We recommend that you apply for your new visa in your home country.

We strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with the U.S. embassy in your home country well before you leave the U.S. You should double check the U.S. embassy website in your country to see if there are other documents that they require.

Standard documents necessary for renewal:

  1. Valid passport (at least 6 months beyond the date you plan on re-entering)
  2. DS-160 Online Non-Immigrant Visa Application
  3. Current Form DS-2019 (updated with new finances and endorsed for travel)
  4. All previous DS-2019s
  5. New proof of funding (dated within the last two months)
  6. Transcripts from SUNY Plattsburgh and any other previous institutions
  7. Proof of compelling ties to your home country
  8. Enrollment verification letter from GEO
  9. Any previous immigration documents (old passports, etc)
  10. Any fees that might apply and your receipt showing them paid

Visa Renewal in Canada or Mexico

Many students wish to travel to Canada or Mexico to apply for a new visa because they are so close to the United States. Before you decide to do this, please review the following information.

  • If you are denied a visa in Canada or Mexico, you will not be able to re-enter the U.S.
  • If you decide to travel to Canada or Mexico to try and get a visa renewed, you must be prepared to stay at least four (4) days before your visa application will be approved.
  • If you are a full-time student at SUNY Plattsburgh, and wish to visit Canada or Mexico to apply for a new J-1 visa, GEO recommends that you contact the U.S. Embassy in Canada or Mexico before leaving Plattsburgh. You should schedule an appointment and check on the embassy’s rules and requirements. Start with the list above to review the standard documents to bring with you to the visa interview. After you are granted a visa, you will be allowed to return to the U.S.
Back to top