Jump to Footer

Extension of J-1 Program

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security requires you to extend your program if you will not complete your current degree by the date indicated on your Form DS-2019.

You must apply for a program extension and be issued a new DS-2019 before your current Form DS-2019 expires!


You can apply for an extension of your J-1 program if all of the following are true:

  1. Your current Form DS-2019 has not expired
  2. You have new financial documents which show you can support the extra time being requested
  3. You have an important and documented academic or medical reason which prevented you from finishing your program as planned  Note: Academic probation or suspension is not an acceptable reason for a program extension.

Required Documents

  1. A completed and signed Program Extension Application for F-1 and J-1 Students Form. Download Program Extension Application for F-1 and J-1 Students Form.
  2. New financial documentation to cover the extra time being requested.
  3. Medical evidence from a licensed medical doctor or psychologist on official letterhead that states the nature and dates of the illness (only for extensions based on medical grounds).

The extension process is simple and there is no fee.

To apply for an extension, simply complete the required documents above and bring them to the Global Education Office.

You must schedule an appointment with the International Student Advisor AND have all the above documents to complete the extension process. Maintaining your immigration status is your responsibility. Please act in a timely manner to protect your status and to avoid any problems with your stay in the United States.

Back to top