Fitness Center COVID-19 Information
All gyms and fitness centers were ordered closed on March 13, 2020 by New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo due to the concern of COVID-19 spread. On August 24, the governor’s office approved the reopening of gyms and fitness centers in regions that had reached Phase 4 reopening guidelines. On the same day, the New York State Department of Health released a 17-page detailed guidance document that gyms and fitness centers were mandated to follow.
On September 11, two weeks into the start of the fall semester, the on-campus fitness center passed inspection and received plan approval from the OCHS committee to resume operations with a start date of September 14.
The most significant of the detailed mandates and best practices established by the NYSDOH guidance document include the following:
- Facility capacity limited to 33% of maximum (31 patrons for fitness center & 14 for group exercise)
- All patrons screened upon entering the facility (online form confirmation)
- Masks (acceptable face coverings) must be worn even while exercising
- Social distancing of 6' minimum within the facility
- Patrons accountable to clean equipment before and after use with disinfecting solution provided
- Complying with contact tracing requirements
- Appropriate signage, spacing markers, traffic flow pattern prevalent throughout the facility
- Equipment spaced out or not available for use to promote social distancing
Additional Safety Measures
In addition to the NYS Mandates, the program has adopted the following measures to provide a safe environment:
- Limiting hours of operation by 50%
- Providing effective staffing to ensure compliance, counsel patrons, and clean the facility
- Closing mid-day to sanitize all equipment with an electrostatic sprayer
- Closing shower and locker room facilities
- Suspending alumni, emeriti, spousal membership and guest usage
- Removing high touch material and suspending equipment exchange
With the campus community's support and understanding, we will continue to offer fitness and wellness-related programming to the extent possible. We will continue to work to expand programming, hours of operation and membership eligibility and closely monitor guidance updates that may become either more or less restrictive based on COVID-19 spread on campus, locally or state-wide.
Thank you for your understanding.