Red Cross Lifeguard Training
Successful completion of all components of the course (Lifeguarding/Waterfront/First Aid & CPR/AED for Professional Rescuer) will allow a student to apply for any lifeguard position in a pool or waterfront.
Passing all course requirements will certify the student in Lifeguarding/Waterfront/First Aid (2 year certification) and CPR/AED for Professional Rescuer (2 year certification, but CPR must be renewed every year to work in NYS)
Fall 2018 Lifeguarding Class
- Tuesday's : Oct. 16, Oct. 23, Oct. 30 & Nov. 6 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Sunday's : Oct. 21, Oct. 28 & Nov. 4 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Spring 2019 Lifeguarding Class
- Tuesday's: March 26, April 2, April 9 and April 16 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Sunday's: March 31, April 7 and April 14
Who May Enroll?
- Must be 15 years of age and course is open to the public
- Cost: $225 (Includes course fees and materials)
- If student fails prerequisite swim test, registration fee will be refunded. Once enrolled there will be no refunds.
- Attendance Policy: To qualify for certification, students must attend all classes. NO ABSENCES
- Participants must pass swim test given first class period
- 550 yards (200 front crawl with rhythmic breathing, 200 breaststroke using a pull, breathe, kick and glide sequence, 150 either front crawl or breaststroke)
- 20 yard swim, surface dive to retrieve a 10 pound brick from depth of 7-10 feet and swim back (1 minute 40 seconds)
- Tread water 2 minutes, legs only
- Swim 5 yards, submerge and retrieve three dive rings placed 5 yards apart in 4-7 feet of water; resurface and swim 5 yards to side of the pool.
How to Register
Download the Lifeguard Training Enrollment Form (PDF file size 58.9KB)
Bring enrollment form and registration fee to 314 Memorial Hall (main office). Enrollments will be accepted Monday - Friday (7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.) Checks must be made payable to: SUNY Plattsburgh
Mail enrollment form and registration fee to:
Department of Recreation
c/o Beth Shaughnessy
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, NY 12901
Enrollments will be accepted on a first-come-first-enrolled basis. You will only be contacted if we are unable to enroll the student.