Miller Analogies Test
The Miller Analogies Test (MAT) is offered at SUNY Plattsburgh's main and branch campuses on specific testing dates during the academic year and by appointment, through the Graduate Admissions Office. Please contact us in advance to arrange a test time as we are not equipped to offer walk-in testing.
All Are Welcome
You do not need to attend SUNY Plattsburgh or be an applicant for graduate study at the college in order to take the exam on campus. SUNY Plattsburgh is one of only 9 testing sites in New York State and the only site in the North Country (none currently exist in Vermont or Quebec either).
Accommodations for Candidates with Disabilities
Is the MAT Required for Graduate Admission?
Be sure to check the specific program you plan to apply for to see if the MAT is an acceptable entrance exam for admission. The following programs at SUNY Plattsburgh currently require either MAT or GRE scores to be submitted for program admission:
- Adolescence Education (M.S.T.)
- Childhood Education (M.S.T.)
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling (M.S.)
- Special Education (M.S.Ed.)
- Student Affairs & Higher Education (M.S.)
There is a fee of $80 to take the exam. Please bring a check or money order made out to “SUNY Plattsburgh,” or a credit card payment form can be completed on exam day.
What to Expect on Exam Day
The exam consists of 120 analogy questions, to be completed in 1 hour on an individual computer testing station. You can learn more about the format of the test on the website for Pearson Assessments.
- Arrive at least 10 minutes early to register and pay for the exam
- 2 forms of ID are required to be shown to the exam proctor, at least one should be government issued (driver’s license, passport, etc)
- Test takers will be asked to provide their social security number for registration on exam day
- No personal items such as purses, backpacks, food or drinks, cell phones, etc., are allowed in the testing room and hats should not be worn
- Bring a pencil - scrap paper will be provided if you would like to use it, but must be left in the room after the exam
- You will receive your score on the screen immediately after taking the exam and an official score report will be mailed to your home address within approximately 2 week
- If you feel you have done poorly and do not wish to have your exam score processed, you can choose “Do Not Process Score” at the end of your exam, which will delete your exam and nullify results (Note: your exam fee will not be refunded)