At SUNY Plattsburgh, you will learn from faculty who are leaders in their field — educators who take the time to personally mentor you and truly care about your success.
We know what a big decision choosing a college is and we are here to help you make the most of your investment.
Freshman Admission Requirements
Below are the top factors that SUNY Plattsburgh considers in a freshman applicant, in relative order of importance.
- Strength of High School Program — We are looking for a solid, college-preparatory background. In New York state high schools, that means Regents or Common Core coursework.
- Strong Grades — Successful applicants have an academic average of "B" or better. Students with good courses, but "C+" grades may be considered as "borderline", and therefore will need to have significant supporting factors in their profiles.
- One Letter of Recommendation — All applicants are strongly encouraged to submit a recommendation from a school counselor and/or teacher.
- Solid Standardized Test Scores — We recommend a combined SAT score of 1080 or an ACT composite of 21 or better.
- Essay — Essays are strongly encouraged, but not required. Essays are an applicant's opportunity to communicate to admissions in their own voice. Strive to be original, honest, and creative — tell a personal story.
Applying to the EOP program?