First-Year Fast Facts
Learn more about the academic interests, geographic locations and the overall composition of the 2020 first-year class.
First-Year Academic Profile
Fall 2020 Admitted Student Profile
- Enrolling First-Year Class Size: 920
- High School Average (middle 50%): 85–94
- SAT Range (middle 50%): 1070–1230*
- ACT Range (middle 50%): 23–28*
*SUNY Plattsburgh is test optional for admissions and scholarship consideration
Top Ten Majors
- Biomedical Sciences
- Criminal Justice
- Business Administration
- Communication Studies
- Art Studio
- Childhood/Special Education B.S./M.S.Ed. (Birth–Grade 6)
First-Year Scholarships & Financial Aid
- 50% of all first-year students receive institutional aid for a total of $2 million.
- Nearly 50% of all new first-year students receive an institutional scholarship for a total of $1.4 million.
First-Year Geographic Profile
NYS Regional Breakdown (% incoming NYS students)
- North Country: 21%
- New York City: 19%
- Long Island: 17%
- Capital District: 15%
- Hudson Valley: 13%
- Central/Western: 6%
Top Ten NYS Counties
- New York
Top States (Domestic Students Outside of NYS)
- New York
- New Jersey
Top Countries (International Students)
- United Arab Emirates
- Approximately 9% of our first-year students come from out-of-state or are international students.
First-Year Diversity Profile
Domestic Students Only
- White, Non-Hispanic: 66%
- Hispanic: 14%
- Black, Non-Hispanic: 12%
- Asian: 2%
- Multiple Races: 1%
- American Indian/Alaska Native: 1%
- Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific: <1%
- Over 30% of first-year students self-identify as being Black, Hispanic, Asian, American Indian/Native American, Hawaiian/Pacific Islander or other.
- Approximately 49% of first-year students self-identify as being first generation — the first person in their family to pursue a bachelor’s degree.