First-Year Fast Facts
Learn more about the academic interests, geographic locations and the overall composition of the 2021 first-year class.
First-Year Academic Profile
Fall 2021 Admitted Student Profile
- Enrolling first-year class size: 915
- High school average (middle 50%): 87
- SAT range (middle 50%): 1170*
*SUNY Plattsburgh is test optional for admissions and scholarship consideration. One 27% of first-year students submitted SAT scores in 2021.
Top Ten Majors
- Biomedical sciences
- Business administration
- Criminal justice
- Social work
- Childhood/special education B.S./M.S.Ed. (Birth–Grade 6)
- Computer science
First-Year Scholarships & Financial Aid
- 60% of all first-year students receive institutional aid for a total of $1.4 million.
- 40% of all new first-year students receive an institutional scholarship for a total of $940,000.
First-Year Geographic Profile
NYS Regional Breakdown (% incoming NYS students)
- North Country: 20%
- New York City: 21%
- Long Island: 18%
- Capital District: 18%
- Hudson Valley: 17%
- Central/Western: 9%
Top Ten NYS Counties
- New York — Manhattan
- Kings — Brooklyn
Top States (Domestic Students Outside of NYS)
- New Jersey
Top Countries (International Students)
- Approximately 9% of our first-year students come from out-of-state or are international students.
First-Year Diversity Profile
Domestic Students Only
- White, Non-Hispanic: 62%
- Hispanic: 16%
- Black, Non-Hispanic: 13%
- Asian: 2%
- Multiple Races: 2%
- American Indian/Alaska Native: <1%
- Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific: <1%
- Over 30% of first-year students self-identify as being Black, Hispanic, Asian, American Indian/Native American, Hawaiian/Pacific Islander or other.
- Approximately 49% of first-year students self-identify as being first generation — the first person in their family to pursue a bachelor’s degree.