JoAnn Gleeson-Kreig, PhD, RN
Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs
Professor of Nursing
I joined the nursing faculty at SUNY Plattsburgh in 1997 after a career that included working as a staff nurse with a specialty in medical-surgical and intensive care nursing. During my 10 years in nursing practice, I worked in settings ranging from intensive care to pediatrics to home care. I have educated future nurses for over 20 years at SUNY Plattsburgh and served in the chairperson role for six of those years, leading a successful reaccreditation visit. I bring a wealth of experience in curriculum development, assessment, accreditation, and general education to my current role as Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs. I have always loved teaching! I like to solve problems to make things better. I am committed to student success and work to contribute to that goal everyday.
- Ph.D., Nursing Science, University of Connecticut
- M.S., Adult Health; Education, University of North Dakota
- B.S., Nursing, Russell Sage College
Areas of Expertise
- Acute and chronic care of adults
- Curriculum Development
- Lifestyle change for living well in chronic illness
- Research methods
- Scanlan, N., Brunell, J., Gleeson-Kreig, J., & Brown, C. (2016). A collaborative academic progression model in rural upstate New York: Reflections on the human side. The Journal of the New York State Nurses Association, 44 (2), 28–31.
- Gleeson-Kreig, J., Gran-Henriksen, J., Chakraborty, P., Kreig, L. (2015, November 5). Let’s grow! A project to promote healthy eating, physical activity, and gardening in childcare settings. Poster presentation, Research Symposium, University of Vermont.
- Gleeson-Kreig, J., Gran-Henriksen, J., Chakraborty, P., Kickel, K., & Kimball, J. (2015, November 5). Evaluating a community-based weight loss intervention. Poster presentation, Research Symposium, University of Vermont.
- Gleeson-Kreig, J. (2008). Social support and physical activity in type 2 diabetes: A social ecological approach. The Diabetes Educator, 34 (6), 1037–1044.
- Gleeson-Kreig, J. (2006). Self-monitoring of physical activity: Effects on self-efficacy and behavior in people with type 2 diabetes. The Diabetes Educator, 32 (1), 69–77.
- Gleeson-Kreig, J., Bernal, H., & Woolley, S. (2002). The role of social support in the self-management of diabetes mellitus among a Hispanic population. Public Health Nursing, 19 (3), 215–222.
- Behavioral Health Services North, Board of Directors
- Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honor Society
- University of Vermont, Champlain Valley Physician’s Hospital, Board of Directors