Eta Sigma Delta
Join the International Hospitality Management Honor Society at SUNY Plattsburgh!
In 1978, a group of students from the University of New Hampshire’s Whittemore School of Business and Economics, identified a need to recognize hospitality and tourism students for outstanding academic achievement, meritorious service and demonstrated professionalism. At that time, honor societies existed for other disciplines, but not for the field of study serving one of the world’s largest industries.
As a special project, the students researched and evaluated a variety of options for fulfilling this need. The end result was the establishment of the first chapter of Eta Sigma Delta International Hospitality Management Society (ESD). In 1997, members of the Board of Governors voted to combine AXT and ESD into one hospitality management society. Since 1978, 90+ chapters have been established on various campuses.
About Eta Sigma Delta
Eta Sigma Delta is an international honor society that recognizes exceptional academic achievement among hospitality and tourism students. Eta Sigma Delta is administered by the International Council on Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Education (International CHRIE), the leading international association devoted to hospitality and tourism education.
To be eligible, undergraduate students must meet the following criteria:
- Students must have completed fifty percent (50% of the credit hours required for graduation.
- Students have officially declared as a hospitality management major (or related field).
- Students must be enrolled in an institution that belongs to International CHRIE.
- Students must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 in a 4.0 system or its equivalent in another grading system.
- Students must have the endorsement of the hospitality management faculty body.
- Students must agree to uphold the values of excellence leadership, creativity, service, and ethics.