Students of several different majors have applied to become a Pharmacist in the past and the PHPAC help to make sure that you are prepared to apply to medical school.
If you are a biomedical sciences major you will need several classes in addition to your major. Here are typical classes needed as prerequisites for pharmacy programs:
- General Biology (BIO101, 4 credits with lab)
- Microbiology (BIO203, 4 credits with lab)
- General Chemistry I and II (CHE111 and CHE112, 8 credits with lab)
- Organic Chemistry I and II (CHE1241 and CHE242, 8 credits with lab)
- Physics for Life Sciences I & II (PHY103 4 credits with lab)
- Statistics (MAT161, 3 credits) or Biostatistics (BIO333, 3 credits)
- Calc: Life, Management, Soc Sci I (MAT221, 3 credits)
- General Psychology (PSY101, 3 credits)
- Human Development (PSY311, 3 credits)
- Other courses in humanities and sociology, depending on the program
The Honors Program at SUNY Plattsburgh is an important way to show academic excellence. You should take advantage of this opportunity if possible.
Schools will often expect you to have shadowed a pharmacist. We can offer you and opportunity to shadow both local pharmacist and pharmacists and the hospital UVM-CVPH.
Applying to Pharmacy School
Application to pharmacy schools is through the PharmCAS system. Most program deadlines are in the fall for the following year. The PharmCAS system will process your application and then submit it to the schools you select. Submit your PharmCAS application and arrange for materials to arrive at PharmCAS by the program’s deadline. Many schools have rolling admissions, which means they accept qualified candidates as their applications become complete, including GRE scores. For this reason, it is best to get all of your materials submitted as soon as possible after the system opens for the next cycle.
We have articulation agreements with several medical programs that can shorten your time in school.
Albany College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences — 3+3 Accelerated Doctor of Pharmacy Program
Albany College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences — 3+4 Doctor of Pharmacy Program
SUNY Buffalo — 3+4 Doctor of Pharmacy Program
Three Year Path at SUNY Plattsburgh
Mya Stone, Class of ’19
- Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences branch campus in Colchester, Vt., Pharm.D.
“At SUNY Plattsburgh, the professors are dedicated to their teaching and always willing to answer my questions, no matter how tired of me they may get! A Pharm.D. degree can be done in five years, but I think taking the extra two years to earn a bachelor’s degree will be more beneficial in the long run. All of the sciences courses that I’ve taken have provided me with a solid background of knowledge for topics that will be covered in more detail during pharmacy school.”