Assistant Professor of Public Relations
Michelle Marasch Ouellette’s work is focused on crisis communication, with an emphasis on the use of social media in public-safety emergencies.
She is the founder of the SUNY Plattsburgh Virtual Operations Support Team, designed to provide social media support to nonprofits and governmental agencies during crises. In addition, she is a member of the VOST Leadership Coalition and is on the committee helping to forge international standards.
Previously she served as the director for public relations, where she was part of the team that established the college’s social media presence, which, for a few years, included a Facebook page with more fans than any other school in the 64 campuses of the State University of New York System.
Prior to that, Ouellette was public relations director with the second largest private employer in Essex County, New York.
As the public information officer for both the college and what was at the time called Essex County ARC, she took the communications lead on a number of crises including student deaths, fires, protests (including one by the Westboro Baptist Church), disease outbreaks, union battles and the suicide of a CEO.
Her recent article, “Prison Break: The Truth About Crisis Communications in a Social World,” appeared in Public Relations Society of America’s The Strategist.
Previous presentations include ones on mediating college emergencies, the use of virtual support teams and optimizing social media efforts for public relations.
- M.A. Education, SUNY Albany
- B.A. English (Creative Writing), University of Colorado at Boulder
- Campaign Planning and Development
- Pitch, Persuade, Present
- Public Relations Campaigns
- Public Relations Principles
- Public Relations Writing
- Senior Seminar
- Social Media for Disaster Response
- Director for Public Relations and Publications, SUNY Plattsburgh
- Community Relations Director, Essex County ARC
- Inclusion Specialist, Essex County ARC
- Ouellette, Michelle. “Prison Break: The Truth About Crisis Communications in a Social World.” PRSA. Accessed January 19, 2016. https://www.prsa.org/Intelligence/TheStrategist/Articles/view/11250/1117/Prison_Break_The_Truth_About_Crisis_Communications#.Vp5cafkrLIU
- Ouellette, Michelle. “Super Marketing: ‘Living the Narrative’ and Other PR Lessons From the Market Basket Story.” PRSA. Accessed January 19, 2016. https://www.prsa.org/Intelligence/TheStrategist/Articles/view/10915/1104/super_marketing_living_the_narrative_and_other_pr#.Vp5ddPkrLIU