Dr. Mustafa Demir
Assistant Professor of Criminal Justice
Mustafa Demir joined the faculty at SUNY Plattsburgh in the fall 2016 after completing his Ph.D. in Criminal Justice at Rutgers University in New Jersey. He received double M.A. degrees in criminal justice at John Jay College of Criminal Justice and Rutgers University respectively.
He has 20 years law enforcement experience as a police administrator in Turkish National Police. He also worked for the international organizations including the United Nations for one year and OSCE (Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe) for two years.
His teaching interests are primarily in the areas of research methods, statistics, environmental criminology, criminology, crime analysis, crime prevention/control, introduction to criminal justice, and police related courses.
He has significant years of teaching experience where he instructed a variety of courses to various target groups including middle school students, high school students, police officers, college and undergraduate students. He taught various courses to undergraduate students at Rutgers University in New Jersey, John Jay College of criminal Justice, and County College of Morris in New Jersey. He taught 16 undergraduate courses before he joined SUNY Plattsburgh. He also taught various courses to local police officers while he was working in the United Nations, OSCE, and Turkish National Police.
His research interests primarily focus on a variety of policing issues including police body-worn cameras (BWC’s), legitimacy, procedural justice, police-citizen encounters, SQF (Stop-Question-Frisk), police officers being killed in the line of duty, suicide, witness protection, terrorism, space and crime, and traffic safety.
- Ph.D. in Criminal Justice, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, May 2016
- M.A. in Criminal Justice, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, May 2014
- M.A. in Criminal Justice, John Jay College of Criminal Justice, (CUNY), New York, May 2010
- B.A. in Security Sciences, Turkish National Police Academy, Turkey, June 1996
Teaching Areas and Interests
- Crime & Intelligence Analysis
- Criminal Justice Research Methods
- Data Analysis
- Introduction to Criminal Justice
- Environmental Criminology
- Contemporary Policing Strategies
- Police and Society
- Police Ethics
- Community Policing
- Police Management and Leadership
- Use of Force
- Comparative CJ Systems
- Issues in Criminal Justice
- Criminal Justice: Theory in Practice
- Capstone Seminar in Criminal Justice
- Policy Planning and Evaluation
- Crime and Crime Analysis
- Reducing Local Crimes
- Media, Crime and Criminal Justice
- Violent Crime
- White Collar Crime
- Police Body-Worn Cameras (BWCs)
- Police Legitimacy & Procedural Justice
- Police-Citizen Encounters
- Stop, Question and Frisks
- Police Deaths in Line of Duty (particularly locations where police officers have been killed)
- Witness Protection
- Traffic Safety
- Place-Based Crime
Publications (Recent and Forthcoming)
- “Intihar” (Suicide). In Baþýbüyük, O., Özeren, S., and Sever, M. (Eds.). Sosyal Bilimler Iþýðýnda Güvenlik Terimleri Ansiklopedisi. Ankara, Turkey. pp. 786-795 (forthcoming).
- (2017). "The Perceived Effect of a Witness Security Program on Willingness to Testify." International Criminal Justice Review, doi: 10.1177/1057567717721298.
- (2017). "Gender Differences in Sucide Methods in Turkey." Forensic Research & Criminology International Journal, 4(6):doi:10.15406/frcij.2017.04.00133.
- (2014). “Hot Spots of Crime in Urban Areas, and Social Disorganization at Micro Units of Geography” (with M.F. Bastug), In Atasoy, E., Efe, R., Sam, N., Sam, R., Spiriajew, E., and Galay, E. (Eds.). Cities in the Globalizing World and Turkey: A Theoretical and Empirical Perspective. St. Kliment Ohridski University Press, Sofia, Bulgaria. pp. 260-271.
- (2011). “The PKK and the Media” (with M. Cengiz), In Charles Strozier and James Frank (Eds.). The PKK: Financial Sources, Social and Political Dimensions. VDM Publishing. pp. 52-62.
For more information about Dr. Mustafa’s academic record see his curriculum vitae