Guest User Guide to Feinberg Library
Alumni, students and faculty from other colleges, and patrons from the community are considered guests of the library.
Patrons from the community can borrow items from our general collection, consult the books in our reference area, and are welcome to use our computers around the main stairway for research on the internet and in our library databases. If you need to use a computer, please stop at our second-floor service desk to be logged on.
- SUNY Plattsburgh alumni and students and faculty from other colleges have more extensive borrowing privileges.
- Emeriti SUNY Plattsburgh faculty are considered faculty for purposes of borrowing materials.
Accessing Collections & Reference Services
Visitors to Feinberg Library have access to all collections and reference services. If you are interested in borrowing from our collection, you will need to purchase a guest borrower’s card. Applications are available at the second-level service desk. You will need to show a valid form of identification (e.g., a driver’s license) when you apply.
- Guest borrowers (including alumni) — the annual fee is $25. Please note that reference materials, periodicals and some media and government documents do not circulate.
- Students and faculty from other colleges — no fee; however, two forms of identification are required, with one being a college ID.
There is a limit of 25 items on loan at a time. The loan periods are the same as those for SUNY Plattsburgh students, as follows:
- Open shelf books: 30 days (2 renewals)
- Government documents: 30 days (2 renewals)
- Records, compact discs: 14 days (1 renewal)
- Videocassettes and DVDs: seven days (1 renewal)
Services for Guest Borrowers
Guest borrowers can…
- request to be logged on to a computer around the level-two stairway. No online accounts are established. Priority access is given to enrolled students;
- renew materials by calling the second-level service desk at 518-564-5182, or visit the library in person. There are no fees for late materials; however, if materials are more than 25 days late, they will be considered lost and a replacement cost will be charged.
- use Eduroam to connect to the internet, if affiliated with another college or university. Learn more about Eduroam at SUNY Plattsburgh.
- visit and conduct research in Special Collections (open by appointment only; contact Special Collections librarian Debra Kimok at [email protected]).
Guest borrowers cannot…
- use our wireless connections;
- use the services available at the first-level service desk (computer lab area);
- use Interlibrary Loan services;
- check out materials from Special Collections, as these are available to all for in-library use only.
- check out periodicals or materials placed on reserve.
Library Guidelines include rules for food and drink, photography and videography, and building usage that apply to all library patrons.