Faculty Guide to Feinberg Library
Welcome new and returning faculty!
Note: Emeriti faculty are considered faculty rather than guests when borrowing from Feinberg Library.
Get to Know Feinberg
- Take a video tour of Feinberg — for new students and faculty
- Find Your Librarian Liaison (by department): All academic departments have a librarian assigned to assist you
SUNY Plattsburgh faculty can borrow materials from Feinberg Library — all you need is your campus ID card. When you borrow our materials, you assume responsibility for all overdue and/or lost items charged to your library account. So use caution: never borrow materials for anyone other than yourself.
Due Dates for Faculty
- Books in the general collection and government documents circulate for 12 weeks, with a maximum of 2 renewals.
- Records and compact discs circulate for 14 days with a maximum of one renewal.
- Videocassettes and DVDs circulate for seven days with a maximum of one renewal.
- Print reserve materials circulate for two hours.
- Media reserve materials circulate for three hours.
Should you need more time with a borrowed item, simply request a renewal at our second-level service desk. You may also request a renewal by calling us at 518-564-5182, or by logging into your secure My Library Card account.
Faculty are not charged for late returns of either Feinberg Library or Interlibrary Loan items.
The library sends notices to borrowers when an item is late and when it is about to be declared lost. When an item is declared lost, the borrower is charged the cost that Feinberg Library incurs to replace it; this policy includes books, clickers, headphones, wireless mice and presenters.
E-reserve services have moved to Moodle. We encourage faculty to use Moodle, and we will be glad to help guide you. To get started, see our Instructions for faculty. Faculty are responsible for following copyright guidelines when posting material in their courses (see: copyright law of 1976).
Print reserves are library materials or faculty’s personal items, kept behind the second-level service desk for students to check out and use.
- Submit the Faculty Reserves Request Form at least two weeks in advance to place physical materials on reserve for your students; this will ensure items are available for your use. Bring your materials to the second-level service desk in Feinberg library.
Schedule media items for a short period of time, for specific dates only. Media holds for classroom use will be pulled from circulation two days before the date needed, signed out to the instructor and held at the second-level service desk. Once returned, they will be put back into circulation.
- Submit the Media Hold Request Form at least two weeks in advance to request media holds; this will ensure items are available for your use.
Faculty, staff, and graduate students may reserve a secure (locked) library carrel in Feinberg Library. In some cases, applications from advanced honors undergraduates will be considered. These carrels are located on the third-floor mezzanine of Feinberg Library. Use the Carrel Reserve Form to request a carrel.
Before submitting your request, please read our Carrel Reserve Procedures.
- Carrel hours are the same as Library hours.
- Carrels are assigned annually for faculty and on a semester basis for graduate students.
- If demand for carrels is high, you may be asked to share the carrel.
- No covers or obstructions are permitted on any windows in a carrel.
- Circulating library materials left in carrels must be checked out.
- Carrels will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Read key periodicals like the Chronicle of Higher Education or Science
- Learn about Open Educational Resources
- Learn about Interlibrary Loan (ILL) services, or use ILL now to borrow materials from other libraries.
- Schedule Exhibit Space in the Library— Complete our Exhibit Information Form to schedule an exhibit now.
- Software — list of software available in Feinberg Library and labs
- Read the Feinberg Library Guidelines
Library Instruction Services
- Request a Library Instruction Session for your class. Librarians provide hands-on library and information skills sessions customized for your students’ needs. Ask about custom instruction on Zotero or a session held in our Special Collections.
- Add Library Resources to Your Moodle Course. Do you want to include a link to a journal article from an online (Moodle) course site or your faculty web pages? It’s easy to do if you follow a couple of simple steps.
- Technology-Enhanced Learning (TEL) — overviews of services, links to the TEL workshop schedules, and contact information.
- Faculty Guide to Moodle: Integrating Library Resources — support in integrating library resources in Moodle courses, meeting your students at the point of need.
Building Feinberg Library Collections
Information for Faculty: Learn how the collection is developed and suggest a purchase for Feinberg collections. Need a book or DVD for a course? Want to recommend a new book or digital resource? Feinberg Library welcomes suggestions from faculty and staff. Suggestions may be for books, video, DVDs, music CDs, digital resources or journal subscriptions.
Not on the Plattsburgh Campus?
The first time that you follow a link to a Feinberg Library database, you will get a web form that asks you to provide a your NetID and password (Your NetID and password is the same as the one you use for your campus email account). Once you enter this information you will not have to provide it again as long as you leave your internet browser running.