Distinguished Service Award
Presented by the College Council
Since 1966, the College Council has recognized a person or persons who have directly or indirectly played a key role in advancing SUNY Plattsburgh This award, given at the pleasure of the College Council, was originally conceived by former College President Dr. George W. Angell.
Awardees have included:
- The Honorable Ronald B. Stafford, New York State Senator, 43rd District and Chairman, Senate Committee on Higher Education
- The Honorable Daniel P. Moynihan, U.S. Senator
- Admiral Grace M. Hopper, Ret., United States Naval Reserve, pioneer in the field of scientific computing; teacher; engineer; researcher and author
- Roger W. Tubby, former White House Press Secretary under the late President Harry S. Truman.
Individuals have been recognized for their:
- Contribution to the College community or state.
- Demonstration of leadership ability in the service of others.
Nominations If you would like to nominate someone for this prestigious award, please download and complete the Distinguished Service Award Nomination Form and submit to the College Council.
The College Council will consider selection of nominees in February and September for presentation at the Spring and Winter Commencement ceremonies.
- Dr. E. Thomas Moran '69 G'73, SUNY Distinguished Service Professor Emeritus, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs (Retired), SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Hon. Janet Duprey, New York State Assemblywoman (Retired), 115th Assembly District.
- Ms. Cerise Oberman, SUNY Distinguished Librarian Emeritus and Dean of Library and Information Services
(Retired), SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Dr. Laurence Soroka, Associate Professor Emeritus of Expeditionary Studies, SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Dr. Joseph Burke, President Emeritus, SUNY Plattsburgh; Provost Emeritus, State University of New York.
- Ms. Joan Burke, Chair, Alice T. Miner Museum Board of Directors.
- Dr. Patricia Higgins, SUNY Distinguished Service Professor Emerita of Anthropology; Interim Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Ms. Cheryl M. Hogle ’68 G’72, Associate Dean of Students (Retired), SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Mr. William D. Laundry, Vice President for Student Affairs (Retired), SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Ms. Kathy MaGaw ’72, Senior Vice President for Compliance and Risk Management (Retired), Chase Manhattan Bank.
- Dr. David Mowry, SUNY Distinguished Teaching Professor Emeritus of Philosophy; Director, Honors Program, SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Mr. Edward R. Brohel, Director (Retired), Plattsburgh State Art Museum.
- Dr. Celine Racine Paquette ’60, Trustee Emerita, The State University of New York.
- Mr. Roderic G. Giltz, Chair, Northern Insuring Agency.
- Dr. Robert Golden, Provost/Vice President Emeritus for Academic Affairs, SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Mr. Trent Trahan ’70, President, Plattsburgh College Foundation(2003 – 2006); President/CEO of PrimeLink, Champlain Telephone Company.
- Dr. Douglas Skopp, Distinguished Teaching Professor Emeritus of History, SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Mr. Arnold A. Amell ’53, SUNY Plattsburgh College Council – Member (1989 - 2011 ); Member, Educator (Retired), Plattsburgh Alumni Association Board of Directors.
- Mr. C. Thomas “Chip” Cummings ’56, Teacher/Assistant Superintendent for Business, Patchogue-Medford School District (Retired), Plattsburgh Alumni Association Board of Directors -- Member.
- Mr. John C. Egan, Sr., CEO and president of the Renaissance Corp.; past CEO, Albany County Airport; past commissioner, NYS Department of Transportation, NYS Office of General Services; past executive director, NYS Dormitory Authority.
- Dr. J. Richard Beach, SUNY Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Geography and Past Director of the Center for the Study of Canada, SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Dr. John “Jack” Myers, Professor Emeritus of History, SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Mr. Donald Garrant, Vice President for Institutional Advancement, SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Harry E. Mowry, Vice President, Harris Communications (Retired.)
- Mr. Robert T. Booth, Esq., Attorney at Law.
- Mr. Clyde A. Lewis, Esq., Attorney at Law.
- Mr. Gordie Little, News Director, WIRY Radio.
- Dr. Charles and Ms. Nancy Warren, President (Emeritus) and First Lady, SUNY Plattsburgh
- Mr. Curtis E. Shipman, President and Chief Executive Officer, Keeseville National Bank
- Hon. Madeleine M. Kunin, Governor of Vermont
- Admiral Grace M. Hopper, United States Naval Reserve (Retired); pioneer in the field of scientific computing; teacher; engineer; researcher and author.
- Mr. and Mrs. George J. Winkel, Leading Benefactors of SUNY Plattsburgh. Mr. Winkel was a retired business executive; Mrs. Winkel, an internationally renowned sculptor.
- Hon. Geraldine Ferraro, Former Congresswoman, Ninth Congressional District of New York.
- Ms. Sally Kent Gorton, Generous Benefactor to the College's Art Gallery.
- Rev. Daniel T. Keefe, Former Pastor, John XXIII College-Community Parish.
- Mr. Roger W. Tubby, Former White House Press Secretary under the late President Harry S. Truman.
- Ms. Judith L. Duken, Trustee, The State University of New York, and Former Chairperson, Plattsburgh College Council.
- Hon. Daniel P. Moynihan, U.S. Senator from New York.
- Dr. Clifton R. Wharton, Jr., Chancellor, The State University of New York.
- Hon. Warren W. Anderson, Senate Majority Leader, New York State Senate.
- Hon. Stanley Steingut, Speaker, New York State Assembly, 41st District.
- Mr. Willard C. Flynt, Dean of Students/Vice President for Student Affairs (Retired), SUNY Plattsburgh.
- E. Glenn Giltz, President, Plattsburgh College Foundation.
- Dr. Hans E. Hirsch, Professor Emeritus of History, SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Dr. George W. Angell, President (Emeritus), SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Ernest L. Boyer, Chancellor, State University of New York.
- Hon. Ronald B. Stafford, New York State Senator, 43rd District and Chairman, Senate Committee on Higher Education.
- Dr. Herman Cooper, Executive Dean for Teacher Education (Emeritus), SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Mr. Fred P. Merrihew, President, Plattsburgh College Foundation.
- Hon. James A. Fitzpatrick, Chairman, New York State Power Authority.
- Dr. Earl Harlan, Professor of English, SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Dr. Edward E. Redcay, Dean and Acting President (Retired), SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Dr. Kenneth Burbridge, Canadian Minister of External Affairs.
- Mr. William Withall and the William H. Miner Foundation 1968.
- Hon. Emmett J. Roach, Former Chairman, College Council, SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Mr. John Scali, Foreign News Correspondent, American Broadcasting Co.
- Dr. Samuel D. Proctor, Deputy Director, Office of Economic Opportunity, Washington, DC
- Mr. James N. Rosenberg, Internationally famous Jurist and Artist.