HIPAA Compliance Statement
SUNY Plattsburgh has designated itself to be a hybrid entity, i.e., a single legal entity that is a covered entity and whose covered functions are not its primary functions.
An impact analysis conducted for SUNY Plattsburgh included the assessment of all campus functions. Three areas were found to be covered functions under HIPAA.
- Center for Neurobehavioral Health
- Speech and Hearing Center
- Student Health and Counseling Center
Current computer systems, policies, procedures and processes were assessed for each of these areas.
Additional Affected Units
SUNY Plattsburgh has chosen to bring the following areas into compliance with the HIPAA standards by December 31, 2003:
- Athletic Training Facilities
- Ward Hall Counseling Clinic
The working teams listed in the following structure have been charged with:
- Documenting policies and procedures
- Conducting a data flow analysis
- Training and educating students, faculty and staff members
- Updating academic curriculums
- Amending affiliation agreements/establishing Business Associate contracts
- Addressing physical and electronic security issues
- Assessing billing practices and procedures
Last updated 8/29/2017