Computer Software Copyright Observance Policy
Outlines the campus observance of copyrighted or propriety software use and acquisition.
|Policy Number||Policy Owner|
|10002.1||Library and Information Technology Services|
- 1.0 Purpose
- 2.0 Revision History
- 3.0 Units and Persons Affected
It is the policy of SUNY Plattsburgh that no person shall use or cause to be used on the college's computers (particularly microcomputers) any software which does not fall into one of the following categories:
- It is in the public domain.
- It is covered by a licensing agreement with the software author, vendor, or developer, whichever is applicable.
- It has been donated to the college and a written record of a bona fide contribution exists.
- It has been purchased by the college and a record of a bona fide purchase exists and can be produced by the user upon demand.
- It is being reviewed or demonstrated by the users in order to reach a decision about possible future purchase or request for contribution or licensing.
- It has been written or developed by a college employee or a student for the specific purpose of being used on a college-owned computer.
- It has been written or developed by the user.
It is also the policy of the college that there be no copying of copyrighted or proprietary software which was acquired under the standard, single-use permit except for legitimate copying for archival backup purposes. These copies shall not be used on another machine while the originals or a working copy are in use.
Software acquired under a site or universal license shall only be copied and distributed in accordance with the terms of the license when the licensee has issued local serial numbers for the copies, unless the license permits unlimited copies. If there are any questions about campus rights to copy software under site or universal license, the licensee should be consulted.
- 5.0 Definitions
- 6.0 Responsibilities
- 7.0 Procedures
- 8.0 Forms
- 9.0 Appendix
- 10.0 Distribution and Training
For additional information about this policy, please contact the Policy Owner listed above.