Jump to Footer

Relocation Reimbursement Policy (Academic Affairs)

Clarifies the process and method for the reimbursing relocation costs to eligible employees in Academic Affairs.

Policy Information

Policy Number Policy Owner
4044.1 Provost/VP of Academic Affairs & Human Resource Services
  • 4.0 Policy


    1. This policy is established to clarify the process and method for providing relocation reimbursement payments to eligible employees.  It is not expected that every appointee will be eligible for payment of relocation expenses, nor is it mandatory.
    2.  SUNY Plattsburgh has the authority to reimburse actual and necessary moving expenses to employees, pursuant to SUNY policy #8200, "Moving Expenses, Payment of".
    3. Funding for reimbursement is subject to budget availability and maximum rates are subject to a periodic review and revision as appropriate.
    4. The maximum amount that can be offered for reimbursement shall not exceed $3,000.  Any offer exceeding $3,000 must be in consultation with the Vice President of Academic Affairs.


    1. Persons initially appointed to a full-time, professional position as defined in the Subdivision 3 of Section 355(a) of the Education Law.
    2. Persons appointed for 1 year or longer.
    3. Persons are eligible for relocation reimbursement for their “initial appointment” to SUNY Plattsburgh. (An “initial appointment” shall be defined as the first full-time appointment by the State University of New York, or by one of its constituent campuses, except that an appointment subsequent to the first appointment shall be deemed to be an initial appointment if such appointment is made three or more years following termination of an earlier appointment.)

    General Provisions

    1. New York State Division of Budget stipulates that moving expenses may be reimbursed when the distance from the employee’s old workplace to the new workplace is at least 35 miles.
    2. The federal criterion for determining taxability of reimbursements is different. It states that if the distance from an employee’s old residence to the new workplace is at least 50 miles more than the distance from the old residence to the old workplace, the reimbursement is not taxable. However, if the increase in commuting distance is less than 50 miles, the moving expense reimbursement is taxable, requires withholding of income and employment taxes, and must be reported as wages on the employee’s W-2 (New York State OSC Accounting Bulletin A-497 – Reporting Moving Expenses Reimbursements).

    Applicable Expenses Eligible for Reimbursement

    Appointees eligible for reimbursement shall be reimbursed for actual and necessary moving and travel expenses incurred provided the claim for such payment, including original receipts, is made within one year of the effective date of the appointment. An eligible appointee may be reimbursed for:

    1. The basic cost of moving household good and personal effects from the appointee’s residence at the time of initial appointment to the residence located near the new place of employment, provided that the mover used a carrier authorized by the New York State Department of Transportation or the Interstate Commerce Commission to perform such service.
      1. Household goods are defined as all reasonable items of furniture, furnishing, clothing, appliances, tools and equipment, including necessary expenditures for handling such items as pianos, refrigerators and deep freezers.
      2. Not included are such items as automobiles and other motor vehicles; trailers other than house trailers used as appointee’s residence; building materials; animals raised for profit, farming equipment, livestock, boats; belongings not the property of the appointee’s immediate family and belongings related to commercial enterprises engaged in by the appointee for his/her family.
      3. The cost of additional insurance above the lowest valuation rate charged by the commercial carrier.
      4. No reimbursement shall be provided for household goods and personal effects in excess of 12,000 pounds.
      5. If an appointee does not use a commercial household goods carrier, he/she shall be reimbursed for the basic cost of moving household goods and personal effects by rental of trailers or trucks from commercial establishments, provided the claim is accompanied by three (3) competitive quotes. Reimbursement shall be made at the rates proposed in the lowest quote.
      6. Division of the Budget does allow up to $200 if no commercial carrier or rental trucks are used (see G220. 154-2-B,1,V)
    2. The cost of packing and/or unpacking of household and personal effects ONLY if such services are performed by the commercial carrier used.
    3. If the appointee uses a personal vehicle to transport his/her family to the new location, the mileage rate is determined by the IRS (for the use of personally-owned automobiles for moving purposes) and the number of miles is measured by the shortest highway route between the two places of residence. Payment shall be made at such rate for one (1) automobile for one (1) one-way trip.
    4. Airfare will be for one way, economy class International or Domestic airfare ticket(s) for appointee and their immediate family members, eligible up to the maximum amount of reimbursement, provided the claim is accompanied by three (3) price quotes and reimbursement shall be made at the rates proposed in the lowest quote.
    5. Shipping of household items (as described in section A1 and A2 above) must be shipped at freight rate.
    6. Meals and Lodging during relocation are NOT reimbursed.

    Expenses other than those enumerated above, incurred by the appointee as a result of relocation, shall not be subject to reimbursement.

    Reimbursement of Monies Paid

    In the event that an appointee resigns or voluntarily separates within one year of the effective date of appointment to the college, Human Resources will notify the Vice President of Administration.  The Vice President for Administration shall arrange to collect from the appointee monies for relocation expenses and transmit such monies to the state treasurer in accordance with the provision of Section 121 of the State Finance Law.  When such monies cannot be collected by the Vice President of the college, the claim shall be transferred to the New York State Attorney General, who shall take whatever action necessary to collect the monies.

For additional information about this policy, please contact the Policy Owner listed above.

Back to top