Frequently Asked Questions About Travel
Find answers to common questions about the travel process, meals and lodging, transportation and getting reimbursed.
Common questions about travel rules
Common questions about the travel approval process
- I am planning to travel on official business. What is my first step?
- Why do I need to do a travel authorization?
- Do I need a travel authorization for every trip?
- I travel routinely for my job, do I still need to do a travel authorization for each trip?
- If multiple people are attending the same event, does each need to complete a travel authorization?
Lodging & Meals
Common questions about overnight accommodations & meals
- Where can I stay when on travel?
- What is included in the per diem rate?
- What is the maximum per diem rate?
- What if I can't get a room at the maximum per diem rate?
- Which per diem rate should I use if the location of my event is different than the location where I stayed overnight?
- What should I do if a conference provides meals as part of a registration fee?
Common questions about getting to where you need to go
- How do I reserve a flight?
- What do I do when I want to add a personal day on a trip with airfare?
- Where can I get a rental vehicle?
- How do I reserve rental vehicles?
- Should I purchase additional insurance?
- I am picking up a vehicle to night before. Do I include this day in the total number of days?
- Can I use my own vehicle for travel?
- What are the risks of using my own vehicle?
- Am I required to use my personal vehicle?
- Why do I need to get LENS clearance?
- If using my own vehicle, how do I calculate mileage?
- What should I do if multiple people are traveling to the same event?
- What is the mileage reimbursement rate for using my own vehicle?
- What do I do if I get into an accident?
Paying for Travel & Getting Reimbursed
Common questions about paying for travel & getting reimbursed
- How can I pay for travel?
- Do I have to use a travel card?
- How do I request reimbursement?
- What receipts do I need?
- What should I do if a receipt is not customarily provided?
- Do I need receipts for meals?
- What if I lose a receipt?
- What is a miscellaneous expense?
- Can I get reimbursed for a day trip?
- When will I receive my travel reimbursement?
- Is reimbursement of travel expenses considered taxable income?
- What happens if a trip is cancelled?