Learn when a purchase requisition is required, how to complete it, and steps for reviewing process.
Attention — Spending Restrictions are in place due to COVID-19
Purchase requisitions are about permission and purchase orders are about buying. Departments complete a purchase requisition and submit it to the purchasing office, who in turn, creates the purchase order which authorizes the payment for the good or service. The key difference between a purchase requisition and a purchase order is their nature.
Submit a purchase requisition to the purchasing office to receive authorization for a departmental purchase that is $5,000 or more or when buying a good or service that is not appropriate for a P-Card, is an agency contract, or has terms and conditions.
Additional Considerations When Completing a Purchase Requisition
- Always use the most current Purchase Requisition form (fillable pdf) located below or on the Administration and Finance Directory of Forms.
- Review, print and sign the complete form, with appropriate backup documentation, to the purchasing office via inter-office mail.
- If using E-requisition system in Financial Management Services (FMS), the completed requisition, printed from the PDF with appropriate signatures must be submitted to the purchasing office via inter-office mail.
- Account Information
- Contracts & Agreements
- Vendor Selection & Price Justification
- Purchase Thresholds
Who is Making the Purchase?
Requisition: If you need a purchase requisition number, contact the purchasing office.
Date: Enter date the requisition has been started.
Account Details: List account number(s) to be charged. Account numbers can be obtained from department heads or other authorized users of the account.
Sub-object Code: A sub-object code is to be selected from the listing of UNSPSC codes located in the shared Google Drive for purchase requisitions. The sub-object codes are generally grouped into categories as follows:
• 3,000 series-supplies,
• 4,000 series-travel,
• 5,000 series- services,
• 7,000 series equipment/contractual
Requisitioner is responsible for finding and providing specific sub-object code on this form.
Amount: Amount is total cost to be charged to each account number.
- Item or Service To Be Purchased
- State Financial System (SFS) Number
- Vendor Information
- Shipping & Delivery
- Price Justification
Before approving a purchase requisition, supervisors and other approvers should review the following criteria
Purchase Requisition Review Checklist
Is the purchase requisition the correct purchasing method?
If the purchase is under $5,000 and is a P-Card Eligible Purchase and if vendor accepts a P-Card, a P-Card MUST be used. P-Card Eligible purchases under $500, where vendor accepts P-Cards, MUST be made on a P-Card.
Is the purchase requisition complete?
Ensure the form is complete. For detailed instructions, please see Completing a Purchase Requisition.
- Goods & Services
- Supporting Documentation
- Necessary Approvals