Financial Stability Plan Guiding Principles
As the College takes steps to ensure a strong future, the budget reduction decisions we make will be aligned with our values and rooted in these guiding principles.
Staying True to our Mission
- Reductions should have minimal impact on student success including recruitment/access, retention, persistence, transfer ease and timely completion of degree.
- SUNY Plattsburgh will continue to place the quality of academic programs as the highest priority.
Essential to our Core
- The safety and health of students, faculty, staff or visitors and compliance with applicable laws will not be compromised.
- The ability to perform essential operation or maintenance of the physical plant will be maintained.
Cost Savings and Revenue Enhancement
- Vertical, not horizontal – reductions will not be across-the- board, but based on a number of factors including community access, impact on student progression, cost/benefit ratio, student demand and program effectiveness.
- Protect as many jobs as possible.
- Explore entrepreneurial opportunities; Increase private and grant support.
- Emphasize cost savings by developing efficiencies or use of technologies to simplify, integrate and streamline our processes.
- Budget decisions will be conducted in a deliberate, participatory and transparent manner.
- Budget decisions will address the immediate, short-term budget issues while ensuring the College emerges in the strongest possible position in the long term.
- Consult widely with key constituents.
- SUNY Plattsburgh will provide on-going communication with the campus and constituencies.
- Final budget authority lies with the President, while recognizing the valuable counsel of the campus VP’s, Deans and Directors and respecting our strong campus tradition of shared governance.