Job Opening: Franklin County Care Navigator
Employment opportunities offered by the Research Foundation for SUNY are separate and distinct from SUNY and State University of New York employment. As a result, position terms and conditions, compensation and benefits offered by the Research Foundation are different from State employment. Contact the Research Foundation Human Resources office at SUNY Plattsburgh with questions concerning employment and benefits offered.
If an applicant cannot complete the application process to respond to a notice of job vacancy due to a disability or other concern, please contact the Research Foundation Human Resources Office at SUNY Plattsburgh: 518-564-2132.
The Research Foundation for SUNY Plattsburgh is pleased to announce the County Care Navigator position, serving Franklin County, to provide caregiver navigation and intervention services for Governor Cuomo’s Alzheimer’s Disease Caregiver Support Initiative.
The goal of this initiative is to expand the safety net for caregivers of individuals with Alzheimer’s and other dementia, by recognizing and addressing the need for supports and stress reduction. The long term objectives include: development and sustainability of an innovative array of support services; improved coordination of and access to new and existing support services; expansion and enhancement of and access to respite services; improved health and well-being of caregivers and individuals with Alzheimer’s and other dementias; and continued community residence and delayed institutionalization of individuals diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and other dementia.
The Navigator will work as an ambassador in Franklin County, to promote the services offered by the Initiative. They will report to the Project Directors of this Initiative. The Navigator will provide or link informal caregivers of people with dementia to a full range of services to include intake/screening, individual care consultations, family consultations, memory cafes, caregiver training and education, a voucher respite program, and Project Lifesaver – a program for tracking and locating people with dementia who are at risk for elopement and wandering.
Examples of Duties & Responsibilities
- Implement active and passive strategies to promote the services of this Initiative
- Completes intakes and risk appraisals for informal caregivers
- Care consultations
- Family consultations
- Enroll participants into:
- Voucher respite program
- Project lifesaver
- Track daily program activity via performance management software
- Travel throughout Franklin County to promote and provide services
- Attend quarterly team meetings as scheduled at the State University of New York College at Plattsburgh, Center for Neurobehavioral Health
- Other duties as assigned by the Project Directors.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Psychology, Human Services Delivery, or comparable field of study and a minimum of two years of experience working with families, older people and/or people with dementia are required.
- Reliable transportation is required and mileage will be reimbursed.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill necessary to provide appropriate care, interventions and services to the aging population and their informal caregivers.
- Demonstrated knowledge of:
- Principles and practices of crisis intervention
- Interviewing techniques
- Psychosocial problems
- Principles, practices and techniques of counseling and case management documentation process.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with people who are experiencing physical and/or emotional stress, and demonstrated ability to deal tactfully with others.
- Demonstrated interpersonal, critical thinking and communication skills are a must, as is the ability to use basic office equipment, basic office software, and basic data/performance tracking software.
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and excellent benefits.
For full consideration, please submit application materials by Aug. 26, 2019.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Review of applications begins immediately. Qualified candidates may be retained in a pool for future vacancies. Please submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for 3 current professional references.
Submit materials to:
Research Foundation for SUNY
101 Broad Street
260 BMT Hall
Plattsburgh, NY 12901