SUNY PRODiG Fellowship Consortia
The SUNY PRODiG Fellowship Consortia represents a collaborative effort of the thirteen comprehensive colleges in the SUNY system.
This fellowship program is an exciting opportunity for our campus to further diversify the educational experience of our students while at the same time enthusiastically mentoring our fellows who are on the cusp of completing their degrees and pursuing their first full-time teaching positions.
SUNY Pipeline to Academic Careers
The program consists of a three-pronged approach to increase faculty diversity on our campuses.
- First, it introduces early-career diverse faculty that might not otherwise have considered our type of institution to the advantages of a SUNY comprehensive college.
- Second, it provides outstanding mentorship and support to increase future success and retention.
- Third, it increases opportunities for existing faculty and students to work with WSTEM and URM early career faculty, thus enriching each campus and creating a collaborative network across the state.
Our larger goal is to retain the PRODiG fellows we recruit and transition them into tenure-track positions — if not here at Plattsburgh then certainly within the larger SUNY system — as we are collectively committed to diversifying the number of women in STEM as well as BIPOC faculty across all disciplines.
Dr. Anne Herzog, Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs
Call for Applications
The Comprehensive Colleges of the State University of New York system (SUNY) invite applications for the PRODiG Pre/Post-Doctoral Fellowship. SUNY Plattsburgh would be delighted to welcome a new PRODiG fellow for our 2022–2023 academic year.
Eligible candidates for this two-year program include late-stage ABDs or post-docs who are underrepresented minorities faculty in general and women faculty of all races in STEM fields.
The focus of the collaborative is to introduce early-career diverse faculty to opportunities at a comprehensive college, and will provide outstanding mentorship and support to increase future success and retention as faculty. The program will provide intentional support toward degree completion, teaching experience in the individual’s field of expertise, and faculty development at one of the SUNY comprehensive colleges.
PRODiG Fellows will receive a two-year non-renewable contract, travel allowances, summer research stipends, moving expenses, and reduced teaching load. Annual compensation is competitive. Fellows will be paired with a campus senior faculty member to help facilitate integration and support, and will be a part of a larger cohort of PRODiG Fellows across the SUNY system who will meet (both face-to-face and virtually) throughout the two-year fellowship. The fellowship is open to a wide range of fields.
As a PRODiG Fellow, I have greatly appreciated the professional and personal support, intellectual community and camaraderie that I have received here at SUNY Plattsburgh. I have grown as both an educator and a scholar during my time here — and look forward to continuing to learn from students, faculty and community members here in the North Country.
Samantha White, SUNY Plattsburgh PRODiG Fellow, 2020–2022
Read about SUNY Plattsburgh’s first SUNY PRODiG Fellow, Dr. Samantha White
Benefits for PRODiG Fellows
The goal is to support PRODiG Fellows across SUNY and provide needed experience and mentorship prior to being hired into a tenure line, increasing success and retention on the same, or different, campus.
Both ABD and post-docs may be part of the program. Both will receive similar support to ensure success post-fellowship. This includes:
- Mentor training, especially on how to monitor service responsibilities. Mentor’s responsibilities as a sponsor.
- A maximum of half time teaching — discipline and content specific and emphasis on support
- Teaching will be manageable
- Support through teaching professional development on our campuses
- For those with no teaching experience the opportunity to co-teach
- Support for job search
- ABD candidates in the first year of the program are supported toward their degree completion
- Post-doc candidates will be supported in further development of their research and writing towards professional presentation/publication
Applicants must be enrolled in an accredited doctoral program in the U.S. or have completed an accredited doctoral program, and be authorized to work in the U.S.
In order to be eligible, the applicant must have an approved dissertation proposal and have advanced to candidate status at their home institution (or have completed their dissertation). Post-doctoral applicants are also encouraged to apply.
Successful candidates will show evidence of outstanding academic achievement and promise as teachers and scholars. Candidates should have a capacity to respond in pedagogically productive ways to the learning needs of diverse students attending a comprehensive college.
How to Apply
To apply, submit the SUNY PRODiG Fellowship Application no later than March 11, 2022.
Applicants should prepare to submit the following materials:
- A current C.V.
- A letter of intent describing the applicant’s interest in teaching at a comprehensive college
- A letter from the dissertation advisor commenting on the applicant’s performance, potential, and expected time to degree
Applicants should review the websites of each comprehensive college for academic programs and campus locations.
Any questions about the program can be addressed to [email protected]
Why SUNY Plattsburgh?
SUNY Plattsburgh provides affordable academic excellence across more than 70 traditional and cutting-edge programs that prepare students for in-demand careers. We offer specialized STEM-focused programs in biomedical sciences, medical technology, robotics and computer security. Our five-year childhood education B.S./M.S.Ed. is the only program of its kind in the SUNY system, allowing for students to earn their master’s degree without the need to apply separately to graduate school. In addition to a rich tradition of academic excellence:
- SUNY Plattsburgh is the only SUNY campus chosen to host a Truth, Racial Healing, and Transformation Campus Center, supported by AAC&U and the Kellogg Foundation. We are one of only 48 such centers now organized nationwide.
- Students benefit from hands-on learning, research and professional internship opportunities built into every major. Students and faculty benefit from small class sizes and a 16:1 student-to-faculty ratio. The opportunity to nurture professional relationships — to mentor and be mentored — is abundant here.
- Love the arts? — we’ve got that! SUNY Plattsburgh serves as a cultural center for the creative and performing arts in northern New York. At the Plattsburgh State Art Museum, you’ll be able to explore more than 10,000 works of art in indoor galleries and as you traverse our beautiful campus in our “Museum without Walls”. Our theatre and music calendars are lively and robust and there are plenty of ways to get involved or simply enjoy performances.
- Live and work in a spectacular location in upstate New York on the shores of Lake Champlain and the Adirondack Park. Plattsburgh is a vibrant college town close to larger cities like Montreal and Burlington, Vermont. We have a small-town feel with amenities of more populous regions.
- Our diverse campus community has one of the largest international student populations
within SUNY. And, our commitment to having dialogue about diversity and inclusivity
is ongoing and intentional. We strive to ensure that everyone within this community
feels heard, supported, safe and belongs.
Ready to learn more? This is the #Plattslife
SUNY PRODiG Fellowship Consortia Members
The SUNY Comprehensives are teaching-centered institutions and include:
- Brockport (Brockport, N.Y.)
- Buffalo State (Buffalo, N.Y.)
- Cortland (Cortland, N.Y.)
- Empire State (Saratoga Springs, N.Y.)
- Fredonia (Fredonia, N.Y.)
- Geneseo (Geneseo, N.Y.)
- New Paltz (New Paltz, N.Y.)
- Old Westbury (Long Island, N.Y.)
- Oneonta (Oneonta, N.Y.)
- Oswego (Oswego, N.Y.)
- Plattsburgh (Plattsburgh, N.Y.)
- Potsdam (Potsdam, N.Y.)
- Purchase (Purchase, N.Y.)