Cardinal Cloud communication suite at SUNY Plattsburgh
Cardinal Cloud is the college's new Google suite for email (Gmail) and other useful communication tools. Ready to make the move?
A collaboration suite of high-demand services
After conducting extensive research and considering a full range of options, the college has taken the decision to enhance campus email services by using a "hosted" solution as a replacement for the current campus-based email service. Google will be our new service provider. But email is only the beginning. There is currently high demand for shared calendars, mobile device integration, and other communication methods for faculty, staff, and students. Google offers a complete collaboration suite of tools, as follows:
- a state-of-the-art Webmail interface, accessible from home and around the world;
- personal and shared group calendars;
- a large increase in storage space, now 30 GB (up from only 250 MB);
- superior mobile device support and integration;
- personal and faculty Web space; and
- Google Talk instant messaging service for additional communication options for students, staff, and groups.
- Cost-effective – Google apps for education is free. Without this product, providing 30GB of email and document storage for each campus user would be cost prohibitive. In addition, we do not have the resources for the application development time, ongoing maintenance, and hardware costs to provide a campus-based solution that would rival Google. We have 10,000 active email users at any given time; at 30GB each, that is 300,000GB of storage provided to campus users for free!
- Giving end-users what they want – of the 2000-plus campus users who forward their email off campus, 60 percent are forwarded to Gmail. User familiarity with the product should help with campus transition.
- Provide persistent email accounts to graduates – Currently, student email accounts are deactivated 60 days after graduation. Gmail will let graduates use their plattsburgh.edu account for their resumes and other purposes.
- Substantial security protection – Provisions in SUNY’s Google contract, combined with the standard benefits of the Google Education agreement, provide assurances to secure FERPA- and HIPAA-protected data, and to protect against spam, data mining, and ads; these protections are much stronger than those for personal Gmail accounts.
- Email addresses will not change, and offices can still do mail merges.
- You can still elect to use alternative email clients (e.g., Outlook), if you prefer.
Timeline for implementation
- September 1 to October 18 – LIS technology staff builds the back-end systems needed for moving all campus email accounts.
- October 19 to November 8 – Move accounts of select LIS staff for pilot testing.
- November 11 to December 13 – Build Training modules & Start Training classes.
- December 16 – Enable online sign-up to mail accounts of early adopters, open to students, faculty and staff.
- December 18-20 – Move president's office accounts, contact vice presidents and deans offices to start process of moving their accounts
- December 20 – From this point forward, all new accounts created in new Cardinal Cloud - Google apps interface.
- December 20 - Early adopter period ends, transition to full service offering. Continue to allow self-paced email moves/migration for all through winter break
- January 6 - May 1st - Contact faculty/staff departments and move remaining accounts that were not moved in early adopter or self-paced process. All faculty/staff accounts will be moved by May 1st.
- March 16 - Self-paced migration period ends for students - Move all remaining student account over on this date.
For more information about technology at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Phone: (518) 564-4433 / toll-free 1-800-787-8773