Saturday Morning Youth Learn to Swim Program
The Youth Learn to Swim is open to children of the college community and the general public.
The Saturday morning nine-week program is structured to improve the swimming skills of children to make them safe in and around the water.
Each session is 45-minutes.
Fall 2014 Schedule
- Dates of Program: September 6 - November 15 (No class October 11)
- Registration Dates: August 4 - September 4
Spring 2015 Schedule
- Dates of Program: January 31 - April 11 (No classes March 14 & 21)
- Registration Dates: January 5 - 29
To enroll, children must be 5 years of age, 47 inches tall and comfortable in water (able to go underwater). Children enrolled in level 2 will be measured the first class period and tested for comfort in water.
$45 per student. Once a child is enrolled in the Learn to Swim program, there will be NO REFUND unless the child is unable to continue due to a medical problem.
How to Register
- Download Enrollment Form (pdf file size 63.4kb). (Note: this document requites Acrobat Reader, which is available as a free download).
- Bring enrollment form and registration fee in person to 312 Memorial Hall (main office). View Campus Map.
- Enrollments will be accepted Monday -Friday (8:30 a.m. - noon and 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.)
- Checks must be made payable to SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Mail enrollment form and registration fee to:
Department of Sport and Wellness
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, NY 12901
- Enrollments will be accepted on a first -come-first-enrolled basis.
- Participants will only be contacted if we are unable to accommodate your requested time.
What Level Do I Sign My Child Up For?
Passed previous level or have the following skills:
- Level 2: Fundamental Aquatic Skills - Beginning entry level- knows little or no strokes: Must be able to go under water and be comfortable in water. Learns to float and begins to learn to move through water on the front & back
- Level 3: Stroke Development - Should be very comfortable in the water, move through the water without support and be able to jump into shallow water. Teaches coordination of front crawl and elementary backstroke, introduces scissors and butterfly kicks and works on deep water safety.
- Level 4: Stroke Improvement - Should have coordinated of front crawl and elementary backstroke and be comfortable in deep water. Teaches Improvement of skills and distance for front crawl & elementary backstroke, introduces back stroke, breaststroke and sidestroke
- Level 5: Stroke Refinement - Should be able to do one length (25 yards) of front crawl and elementary backstroke, and 15 yards of breast, side and back crawl and tread water for one-minute. Students work on refinement of skills and greater distance.
|9:00 - 9:40 a.m.
||9:45 - 10:25 a.m.
||10:30 - 11:10a.m.
||11:15 - 11:55a.m.
|| Level 5
For more information about Recreational Sports at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Scott Johnson, Recreational Sports Director
Recreation, Intramurals & Club Sports
314 Memorial Hall
Department of Sports and Wellness
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh NY 12901
Phone: (518) 564-4150
Fax: (518) 564-4155