Non-Credit Lifeguard/Waterfront Training
Successful completion of all components of the course (Lifeguarding/Waterfront/First Aid & CPR/AED for Professional Rescuer) will allow a student to apply for any lifeguard position in a pool or waterfront.
Cost: $225.00. If student fails prerequisite swim test, registration fee will be refunded. Once enrolled there will be no refunds.
Fall 2013 Lifeguard Training Course
- Dates of Course: September 8 - November 17 Sundays (10 a.m. - 5 p.m.) No class October 13 Register by: 9/12
Spring 2014 Lifeguard Training Courses
- Section 1: Dates of Course: January 29 - March 5: Wednesdays (7pm - 10) & Sundays (10 a.m. - 5 p.m.) No classes HS break 2/16 & 2/19. Register by: January 24.
- Section 2: Dates of Course: March 26 – April 30. Wednesdays (7:00 - 10:00 p.m.) & Sundays (10 a.m. - 5 p.m.). No classes will be held April 16 & 4/20. Register by: March 21.
- Passing all course requirements will certify the student in Lifeguarding/Waterfront/First Aid (2 year certification) and CPR/AED for Professional Rescuer (2 year certification, but CPR must be renewed every year to work in NYS)
- Who May Enroll? Must be 15 years of age and course is open to the public
- Cost: $225.00 (Includes course fees and materials)
- Attendance Policy: To qualify for certification, students must attend all classes. NO ABSENCES
- Participants must pass swim test given first class period
- 550 yards (200 front crawl with rhythmic breathing, 200 breaststroke using a pull, breathe, kick and glide sequence, 150 either front crawl or breaststroke)
- 20 yard swim, surface dive to retrieve a 10# brick from depth of 7-10 feet and swim back (1 minute 40 seconds)
- Tread water 2 minutes, legs only
- Swim 5 yards, submerge and retrieve three dive rings placed 5 yards apart in 4-7 feet of water; resurface and swim 5 yards to side of the pool.
How to Register
- Download the Lifeguard Training Enrollment Form (pdf file size 58.9kb) Note: this document requires Acrobat Reader, which is available as a free download.
- Bring enrollment form and registration fee to 314 Memorial Hall (main office). View campus map.
- Enrollments will be accepted Monday - Friday (8:30 a.m. - 4:00)
- Checks must be made payable to: SUNY Plattsburgh
- Mail enrollment form and registration fee to:
Department of Sport and Wellness
c/o Scott Johnson
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh, NY 12901
- Enrollments will be accepted on a first-come-first-enrolled basis.
- You will only be contacted if we are unable to enroll the student.
For more information about Recreational Sports at SUNY Plattsburgh, please contact:
Scott Johnson, Recreational Sports Director
Recreation, Intramurals & Club Sports
314 Memorial Hall
Department of Sports and Wellness
101 Broad Street
Plattsburgh NY 12901
Phone: (518) 564-4150
Fax: (518) 564-4155