Career Development Information for Freshmen
Welcome to college. It is not too early to begin thinking about your career planning. These are some questions you may have:
What Should a Freshman Do Regarding Career Planning?
- Explore your interests, values and goals through career inventories available to you in the Career Development Center (CDC)
- Look into the Student Employment Services listings of part-time job opportunities
- Investigate internships and overseas study programs for your future course registrations
- Improve your writing skills (a very important career skill) by writing in class or for the "Cardinal Points"
- Prepare your first resume with help from the CDC
- Participate in a club, group or team; take responsibility for an activity in that organization
- Gain skills and increased awareness of your interests and organizing abilities through participation in student volunteer programs
- Join a study group and/or use support services Learning Center, Student Support Services, or the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) Office to enhance your GPA
- Explore summer job opportunities using CDC resources
Take the Next Step