Student Photos as Directory Information Policy
Approved by Executive Council 5/8/07
- Electronic versions of student photographs (which are taken by College Auxiliary Services when a student obtains a SUNY Plattsburgh identification card) will be included with a student's electronic record in Banner.
- CAS will provide SUNY Plattsburgh electronic versions of student photographs when a student obtains a SUNY Plattsburgh identification card.
- Ownership and responsibility for the release of student photos will transfer from CAS to SUNY Plattsburgh.
- Administrative offices will be able to use the photographs as an additional safeguard in verifying a student's identity.
- Faculty members will have access to student photos for class rosters, testing and academic advising.
- Student photographs will be used with the new residence hall card access/camera system beginning in Fall 2007. (University Police will require the use of these photographs in managing access and verifying the identity of students. This system will utilize student identification cards in place of keys or numeric access codes.)
- While faculty and staff will have access to student photographs in Banner and BannerWeb, students will not have access to their own or any other student's photographs in BannerWeb.
Student photos CANNOT be released to third parties without the student's written consent. Photos are for internal use only by College Officials. (See FERPA Policy for definitions of College Officials.)
For more information about Administrative Policies approved by Executive Council, please contact:
Sean Brian Dermody
Assistant to the Vice President for Administration
Management Services Office
Office: Kehoe 710-11
Phone: (518) 564-2539
Fax: (518) 564-2540