Student Employment Opportunities in Library and Information Services (LIS)
Information for students wishing to work in Feinberg Libary, Feinberg's Main Computer Lab, the Helpdesk, Interlibrary Loan, and Media Services
Library and Information Services (LIS) is looking for students who are committed to excellent customer service. Candidates also should have good interpersonal skills, be dependable, be able to arrive on time for work, pay great attention to detail, and possess leadership potential.
The LIS division hires 50 workstudy students per semester. So, if you qualify for a workstudy award, please consider accepting it. Your workstudy status has no impact on your pay rate or hours.
- Assistant, Associate, Lab Technician, Helpdesk/ResNet Technician, Media Technician, Interlibrary Loan Assistant
- View job descriptions
An application for employment is available below and at the second-floor Service Desk in Feinberg Library. Refer to the staff directory to contact individual shift supervisors for more information.
- Download the LIS Application for Student Employment.
- Return your completed application to the first- or second-floor Service Desk in Feinberg Library. Applications will be accepted until all positions are filled.
Full-time, registered, matriculated, students are eligible for employment in Library and Information Services (LIS). Students are employed through the Federal Work Study Program and SUNY Plattsburgh's Temporary Service Programs.
LIS Assistant, LIS Associate
- Job Description: The LIS Assistant position is responsible for monitoring the Feinberg computer lab and adjoining computer facilities. Students are responsible for taking population counts, keeping the facilities in order and assisting students using scanners, and other hardware/software available in the lab. Students will be trained to use binding and laminating machines. Students may be asked to run errands and help in the office as well. The LIS Associate job is an internally promoted for individuals with experience and demonstrated leadership qualities.
- Experience Required: keyboarding, computer literacy, good interpersonal skills, and attention to detail. Must be willing to commit to working a full semester. Opportunities for advancement. Previous experience in a library, restaurant, or retail store desirable. Contact Darlene Strack for more information.
- Hours: Monday-Thursday from 7 pm to midnight; Friday from 7:30 am to 8 pm; Saturday from 11 am to 8 pm; Sunday from noon to midnight
- Job Description: Works closely with professional staff technicians installing software, troubleshooting, and adjusting configurations. Assists in setting up new facilities. Will also assist in approved Ed Tech projects. Provides evening support for our classrooms. Contact Alyssa Drowlette for more information.
- Experience Required: High level of technical skill required.
- Hours: 4 pm - 8:30 pm
Interlibrary Loan Assistant
- Job Description:
- Experience Required: Attention to detail; good communication skills (oral and written). Technical skills a plus. Must commit to full semester including exam week. Contact Ethel Facteau for more information.
- Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
- Job Description: Duties include but may not be limited to answering phones, software and hardware installation & troubleshooting, performing on-site visits to assist faculty/staff and students, and computer setup and deliveries. Successful candidates will also need good customer service skills and the ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Experience Required: Must have technical experience. Contact TJ Myers for more information.
- Hours: 8 am - 8 pm, Monday - Thursday; 8 am - 4:30 pm on Fridays.
- Job Description: Assist in providing multimedia programming in the Yokum Communications/Lecture Hall and the delivery, retrieval and operation of audio/visual equipment. Equipment includes data projectors, computers, VCR’s, televisions, overhead and slide projectors. Successful applicants should possess a valid driver’s license and be able to follow written instructions and work well on their own. On-the-job training is provided. Experience with audio-visual equipment is helpful but not necessary.
- Experience Required: AV experience preferred but not necessary. Will train. Contact Kevin Mundy for more information.
- Hours: 7:30 am - 10 pm, Monday - Thursday; 7:30 am - 4:30 pm Friday. Contact Kevin Mundy for more information.
For more information about Library and Information Technology Services, please contact:
Library and Information Technology Services
2 Draper Avenue, Plattsburgh, NY 12901
Phone: (518) 564-5180
Fax: (518) 564-5100
Library and Information Services Staff Directory