Eight Indispensable Rules for Course Design
A Center for Teaching Excellence guide for teachers
- Start with the course you want to teach.
- Give them responsibility for learning; take responsibility for teaching.
- Know what you want them to learn: content and/or skills objectives.
- Always be clear about what you want from the students.
- Be organized but not over-complex in your organization.
- Make sure understanding builds.
- Plan the unexpected.
- Don't overreach: fewer objectives can mean more critical and intense understanding that reproduces itself.
Course Design Basics
Use this convenient worksheet as a guide to construction of your course. The most important section is #3 on learning objectives - these are the guide posts to everything you plan to teach, assign, and evaluate in the course.